What happened to Gangstas and Honda Accords?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 25, 2012.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

It used to be every crack dealer in the neighborhood had to have a pimped out Honda Accord, tinted windows, and a small arms arsenal. Now I see them in these Cadillac Escalades without fail. What gives?

Attached Files:

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

business must be booming :eek:

4. 63dot, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

No just old me trying to figure out the herd mentality of the new bangers in town. Wouldn't you want to keep your job/activities private? First the Accords with Ecko clothing, now this? How does what would otherwise be a yuppie-mobile turn into the very symbol of the car of a street pharmacist? Is this car mentioned in gangsta rap or some sort of symbol? I am not judging and personally I think all drugs should be legal (in a large part to combat the armed turf wars in my area).

The Accord does not seem to be the most purchased drug dealer car anymore, but it's #2 in being the most popular car to steal (behind Honda Civic). Do dealers steal their cars because I would think they make enough selling whatever they sell.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Trends change even in the underworlds I suppose. Though drug dealers who drive vehicles like that tend not to be the brightest bulbs in the box, therefore explaining why they seem to not understand the phrase, "low profile".

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I guess with such "smarts" out there in gangland, we need fewer cops to catch them. ;)

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Might as well, they stick out like a sore thumb.:p

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

As this USA Today article, Escalade scores with athletes, rappers (from a decade ago) points out, they've been popular in the gangsta rap & hip hop world for a while...

Well, look on the bright side -- they're buying American and helping the nation keep its proud Pimpmobile production heritage alive and well!

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm guessing if they drive cars that call such attention to themselves, they ain't the brightest guys in the world.

Good one.

Exactly how often are you seeing your drug dealer? ;)

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are "two-car families" a new concept to you guys?? :D

The courts have a habit of seizing all assets obtained by crime. ;)

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Actually, if you count CVS drugs, then often!

I had a job in a grocery store (big alcohol selection) that was gangland central (at least at night) and I noticed a lot of wannabe gansters so they got the clothes (Addidas sweats, hoodies, expensive Jordans or similar shoes) and they went for the pricey cars or pricey car upgrades.

My brother was an innocent wannabe and whatever Accord he saw in the latest MTV gansta rap video, he wanted to get that look. He spent thousands on wheels, rims, tinted windows, stereo and it drove my parents crazy. Being one of the only minority families in our small outlying town was a bit scary.

There is this old retired guy who had a pimped out Escalade, before they got "hip" and after a couple of years, he dumped that thing so fast. The big white body on that car is perfect to tag on, as you could see in the first post I put up. What is this world coming to when the cops need to tag?:D

Wouldn't it be funny if some rap star started making the Saab or Volvos the in thing? It's just copycat syndrome and it even exists within our little world of Macs.

12. Fazzy macrumors 6502

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Maybe the drug dealers decided to be patriotic and buy American instead of buying those rice wagons with their hard earned money. :D

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think its carry over from the Rap stars who made Escalades the wagon of choice. They are easier to bullet-proof too. Given the short life expectancy of these criminals, I doubt they are interested in keeping a low profile. Live large while you can.

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

When Chevy brought back the Impala it became the car of choice for LA-based wannabe gangstas. You know, the under 10k/year with $3k rims and a $300/month apartment.

Accords and Civics are now mostly for the "haven't got enough points on my license to realize I'm not fast, but still furious" crowd.