What happened to HeadlineNews?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMacZealot, Jan 27, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Back when I was your age, there was this dependable channel you could turn to where you could be caught up with all the headlines of the world quicker than it takes to churn butter. But now, them crazy folks taken it off and put on some channel with squawk boxes who are louder than a chicken with its head cut off!

[/elderly voice]

Seriously, who buys Nancy Grace or Glenn Beck? They present terrible infotainment programs (info- and -tainment being used lightly in that portmanteau) and do not seem at all intelligent. I'd much rather see the old CNN Headline News format with true dependable news that they do away with at about noon for these idiots.

2. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's probably the best answer; their ratings took them to #3 when they made the format change.

I just don't understand who in the right mind could possibly watch them nightly and say "Wow! Glenn Beck/Nancy Grace really know what they're talking about and are astounding journalists!"

(edit note: I don't understand how this really fits into political and religious issues, but okay.)

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've said much the same thing, iMacZealot. CNN used to be a no-nonsense, just-the-facts news operation. Oh, and you could get that news 24/7. Of course, that was back in the Ted Turner days when they were mostly doing rip-and-read wire service stuff. There was something to be said for that.

Today, like KingYaba says, it's $. They're trying to compete with everybody else for entertainment, not news, so we get more reporting on the political horse races and not on the issues, and pointless features on how to buy things.

And don't get me started on Nancy Grace and Glenn Beck. She's worthless, and he's nothing more than the dumb kid that got picked on in school and grew up to become a bully himself.

CNN's only saving grace is that it's not Fox. And that's damned faint praise.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My favorite word to describe news is "sensationalize." They all sensationalize every story.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I wish I got the international feed of CNN sometimes...

I think their website, when set to the international edition, provides a good VoD service with news.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You could say that about most channels, they strayed away from what there original intent was in an attempt to get better ratings. MTV ring a bell for anyone.

7. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's true, but CNN still uses that veneer of credibility and trustworthy journalism. MTV often pokes fun at the fact that they no longer are "Music Television", and they even made a slight name change to "Musical Television" to reflect that.

8. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Two words.............

GLENN BECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I happened upon this article last week and is a great read.
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/01/21/tv-101-channel-drift-or-what-the-hell-happened-to-aande/

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes........I mentioned him in the question you're answering..........

That's very interesting and insightful. Now that I think about it, I guess it's impossible to remain true to your original channel's intent.

11. diehldun macrumors 6502a

What we need is CNN International to be widely avaliable here in the U.S. Fortunately, I get it at home via digital cable, but I sorely miss it here at school.

The American CNN honestly pales in comparison to CNN International; they share the same name, but that's where their similarities end, IMO. Vastly superior in terms of news content, personalities, and even aesthetics. I love their special reports, and also how could we all live without... Richard Quest? :D

CNN International & CNN U.S./Headline News = two completely different animals.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On the other hand, there are times I don't mind channel drift....

[​IMG]

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I was just talking about this a couple of weeks ago when I was having dinner at Buzzard Billy's Cajun Dining with a bunch of nerds from the local LUG and they CNN's Nancy Grace on one of the TVs at the bar. I cannot stand the fact that CNN is attempting to become more like Fox News. I really wish we could get back another real good cable network, but I guess money tops fine journalism.

14. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I like BBC World News America. As far as I can tell it's more unbiased and less geared toward stupid sensationalism.

Also, I really enjoy having my news delivered in an aristocratic blue-blood English accent. In fact, I wish the moronic local news broadcasts were like that. It would be great to hear the weather reports of tornadoes pulverizing small towns in the Kansas City viewing area delivered in a British accent.