What happened to my iPhoto library??!?!?! Big blurry "!"s in place of photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maclover001, Feb 6, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I finally went out and bought iLife '09. So far it was great, I love iMovie, but...

I opened iPhoto because I needed to grab a couple pictures for an iDVD menu.
    I clicked on an event, and I saw all the photos in that event. All good. But when I go to click on a photo, it gives me a big blurry exclamation mark :eek:

I looked into it further, and it seems like all of my events from 2007, and only 2007, are corrupted like this. What happened? Can I recover the photos?

Attached Files:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you can see the image thumbnails in Events until you double-click on an individual image, something's gone bonkers in the iPhoto Library package with regards to the Originals folder. You have a a few options: try an automatic rebuild of the library by launching iPhoto with the option and :apple: keys held down. You will want to rebuild the database, recover orphaned photos, and '09 adds the option to restore metadata from the last time you closed iPhoto. If it works, great. If not, you can crack the library by right or control+clicking it to show package contents. Go into Originals/(year)/(event name) and see if you see pictures. If you can, you have the option of manually rebuilding the library. Hold down option when launching iPhoto, create a new library, and drag the contents of the Originals folder (and Modified too if you want) into the application. You might end up with duplicates if you import both folders. The final option requires you to have a backup through Time Machine. Assuming you haven't added many pictures since upgrading to '09 or at least have an easy way to bring them back in, access your Time Machine backup, restore the iPhoto Library package (from before the upgrade). Overwrite or keep both if you wish. If you overwrote the '09 library, launch iPhoto and let it upgrade the library. If you kept both, hold down option while launching iPhoto and point it at the restored library, and upgrade that. Note that the manual rebuild will clear all of your slideshows/albums/smart albums/books/cards/calendars. Its a hefty price, but you'll get the images back.