What happened to rational government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by colourfastt, Aug 1, 2019.

1. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

What happened to rational, intellectual thought in our government?

67339982_740154566417272_8858897478573883392_n.jpg

2. LordVic macrumors 603

Money

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

we kept voting the for Mao to stop Hitler............

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Not sure that the Stalin nostalgia is a good look.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Stalin was rational? The man is responsible for putting more people in body bags then Hitler.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Because we went from getting our news like this
    old-man-reading-newspaper.jpeg

To getting our news like this
    920x920.jpg 480px-Facebook_logo_36x36.svg.png th.jpg

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It's more apt to say it is fed now. Also what is presented as news is mostly opinion. Worse yet supposition.

How far we've come.

The Journalist's Creed by Walter Williams in 1914
    - I believe in the profession of journalism.
    - I believe that the public journal is a public trust; that all connected with it are, to the full measure of their responsibility, trustees for the public; that acceptance of a lesser service than the public service is betrayal of this trust.
    - I believe that clear thinking and clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism.
    - I believe that a journalist should write only what he holds in his heart to be true.
    - I believe that suppression of the news, for any consideration other than the welfare of society, is indefensible.
    - I believe that no one should write as a journalist what he would not say as a gentleman; that bribery by one’s own pocketbook is as much to be avoided as bribery by the pocketbook of another; that individual responsibility may not be escaped by pleading another’s instructions or another’s dividends.
    - I believe that advertising, news and editorial columns should alike serve the best interests of readers; that a single standard of helpful truth and cleanness should prevail for all; that the supreme test of good journalism is the measure of its public service.
    - I believe that the journalism which succeeds best — and best deserves success — fears God and honors Man; is stoutly independent, unmoved by pride of opinion or greed of power, constructive, tolerant but never careless, self-controlled, patient, always respectful of its readers but always unafraid, is quickly indignant at injustice; is unswayed by the appeal of privilege or the clamor of the mob; seeks to give every man a chance and, as far as law and honest wage and recognition of human brotherhood can make it so, an equal chance; is profoundly patriotic while sincerely promoting international good will and cementing world-comradeship; is a journalism of humanity, of and for today’s world.

9. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Madison Avenue.

10. Solver macrumors 6502a

Which government has ever been rational and not political?

11. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Well there may have been some accidentally rational ones, not likely they weren't political though. One issue with most democratic governments is that the people's votes aren't necessarily rational even if definitely political. Probably doesn't mean we should ditch either government or people's input to it. Most democracies once fairly established seem to muddle along for at least a few centuries before someone tries to tip the whole apple cart over yet again.

govern
    (verb)

ORIGIN: Middle English: from Old French governer, from Latin gubernare ‘to steer, rule’, from Greek kubernan ‘to steer’.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Funny but,
    Picture above:
    • Left: guy responsible for more killings than Adolf Hitler.
    • Center: guy that dropped THE bomb (following up the Dresden bombing guy).
    • Right: guy that was a-ok with bombing Dresden, guy that insulted every human being he met, guy that bombed his own allies, guy that kinda messed up with India.
    Picture below:
    • Left: guy with funny hair that tweets way too much.
    • Center: guy with funny hair that talks way too much.
    • Right: guy that ride a horse and doesn't really have the same power of the guy top left.
    Nothing against Truman and Churchill as they were products of their time and they did a lot for humanity, but I prefer to live in the age of the three stooges below than the era of the three above.

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

We’re intellectually lazy and perfectly willing to embrace whatever false scapegoat those who are in power throw at us. If we were rats in a maze and there was a mountain of cheese right in front of us we’d turn around and charge the roaches stuck on fly paper in the opposite end of the maze.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Putin definitely doesn't belong with Trump and Johnson. Whatever you may think of him, he's certainly not a goof and is ten steps ahead of the two morons.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

That’s FDR, not Truman.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh crap, true :)
    Well, doesn't change the bottom line.

17. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Well it will be interesting to see how the GOP plays the new 10% tariff Trump just laid on the rest of Chinese goods. What's at stake now are the goods the working poor and we in the lower middle class buy each other for token holiday gifts saved up for out of the grocery money. Polyester scarves, plastic picnic-ware for the following summer...

I suppose the Rs could try to get another bailout like the Market Facilitation Program which tried to put a bandaid on the wounds of 9 out of 10 of the rural counties that voted for Trump and got hit by backlash to the first round of tariffs... and now have no export markets... but this time the GOP would have to get a bailout past a House with Democrats in the majority. They might even pass it just to keep from being called obstructionists yet again, but they'd be very very sure to call any new bailout program what it is, namely a BAILOUT. And plaster it on the 2020 campaign ads too.

Maybe Trump is truly a moron. Or else trying to prove that the half a dozen people who can maintain a short on Walmart are wealthy enough to buy him a re-election?

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So far, it looks like the Republicans are primarily interested in destabilizing the government. The current administration is attacking the “deep state” by simply throttling and dismembering every agency they can get away with, and they seem to be doing it mostly under the radar, as CFSG acts like an utter moron, taking our attention away from what they are really up to.

Democrats, as messed up as they may be, want government that functions as one would expect/hope in a stable society; Republicans are trying to build a plutocracy on top of the rubble of the government they are breaking. And causing damage seems a lot easier to do than is fixing thing one.

19. mikef07 macrumors 6502

Wow. Very rarely do I find a post that makes me think like this. Well posted sir.

20. LordVic macrumors 603

My problem with the people pictured below, is that they set the stage and set the world on a course that makes way for the people above. I don't want to have either. I want, cool. peaceful rational leaderes who lead their country, in peace and fairness with those other countries around them.

yes, it's Naive, Ideological. But I refuse to accept less and will continue demanding better.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

This is a totally fair demand.

22. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

• End justifies the means.
    • Undermining the system, corruption, dishonesty, unethical and immorality to win at all costs.
    • Perceived interests of political party over country.
    • Me>We.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Wife > Me (otherwise, I am dead.)

24. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Putin's at the very least ahead of Trump although that's faint praise. Johnson's certainly in over his head because Brexit is a maze without any good exits, but he's not quite as incompetent as Trump.

Putin may be approaching the apex of feasible power-grasping now though. There always comes some point when the bribes aren't enough and the threats draw attention to legislation that's already in place that felt like an overreach to begin with. His bill that almost makes it possible to call out someone on treason for breathing surely picked up a lot of sotto voce resentment. Now he's out there apparently seeing to it that political opponents not only get jailed but "a little bit" poisoned? He should perhaps have a caution and revert to having a proxy stand in as head of state for a turn. The army has already demonstrated a little more independence than one might have thought even as Putin was still coming to power.

25. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It wasn’t rational back then either.