What happened to Steve Jobs office room in Cupertino?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cnev3, Aug 20, 2014.

1. cnev3 macrumors 6502

Did the employees turn his office into a shrine? Is it sealed off? Did they keep his office exactly like he left it like a deceased childs bedroom?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A shrine? With, like, little Steve bobble-head fetishes?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It probably got cleared out with personal things going to his family and things that belonged to apple going back to apple. And now it has been assigned to another executive.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ This. You know, like in the real world most likely. ;)

I bet it's someone else's office. Someone once told me there was some plague on the wall in memory, but that someone is the same someone who claims to know someone who knows someone who he once kissed in grade school that works for Apple now.

5. RenoG macrumors 65816

This^^ as dissapointing as this may be to you and other Steve Jobs disciples.

6. YodaPowerMac macrumors newbie

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

According to MR's recent article on Steve, the office remains untouched. I assume it hasn't been given to anyone else, but that personal belongings are back with the family.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Perhaps every Apple site should have a facsimile of Steve's office, in the same way that all Churches of Scientology have a (non facsimile) office of L Ron Hubbard.

9. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

Please tell me they call it the L Ron Cupboard.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That would be weird, I think at some point they need to move on, at the very least repurpose the room for something else.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why do they need to? I am sure Apple isn't running out of office space. Leaving his office untouched is just a nice gesture to the importance of the man.

Apart from that, who would move in? Tim Cook certainly wouldn't, and any of the top executives wouldn't, for obvious reasons. And anyone lower down might not be exactly pleased with getting Steve Jobs' former office.

From personal experience, personal belongings of a deceased colleague can stay for a very, very long time because nobody thinks it's right to move them and nobody wants to be the one who does it.

----------

What an insulting way to talk about a dead man.

12. maflynn, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's a man, not a deity. It is time to move on, he's been dead for years now, Apple needs stop living in the past and move forward with an eye to the future.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You mean "dead mans followers"?

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Wouldn't surprise me if it was still vacant, or at most used as special purpose meeting room. The Apple culture obviously still holds Jobs in awe. Who would want to move into that room? And even there was someone who wanted to move in, if I was a co-worker I'd try to block that move. I'd not want them to gain a competitive edge in their career by letting them claim some sort of 'specialness' by being there.

Another reason it would be awkward is that number of visiting dignitaries will want to see The Office. You'd have constant interruptions as VIPs were toured through.

Whether or not we agree, our culture still believes that there is something 'special' about the space a visionary occupied. And that by entering that space a little bit of that greatness may rub off onto you.

15. scfxv macrumors newbie

they should lock the room. And open it 25 years from now. (a kind of time-travel technology room)

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

While I applaud your comment, this is Apple after all. They'll definitely leave it as a shrine for years to come.

17. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I don't think they're leaving it as a "shrine". But I also don't think they are hurting for office space and have some immediate "need" to dismantle the office and repurpose it or move another exec. in there. They're building the new "mothership" building and will probably move out of that current building in a few years? Why not just leave things as they are for now and when they move to the new building they can figure out what to do with the office then?

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Meh I think I would just leave it. Like others say, they're not exactly hurting for office space.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I doubt they will ever move out of that building and let another company have the address of 1 Infinite Loop.

20. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

True. I imagine they will keep it as an ancillary office. Still, no real "need" to use Steve's old office, why not just leave it alone until something NEEDS to be done with it?

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

At some point, I'm sure Apple will just simple remove a few walls, build a few new walls and the spot where Steve's office used to be will be part of a conference room, break room, smaller offices, whatever. It's not like the Oval Office where it just has to stay the same.

Office buildings change configurations all the time. Do you think Steve Wozniak's office is still sitting there empty? Do you think Steve's office remained empty when he left Apple the first time?

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Won't be around for much longer if Apple is moving to that new spaceship campus... :eek:

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Apple can make it into a museum charge $100 a person to get in and they will make millions!!!

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet I think they will find a way to make a Steve Jobs office in the new building. After all, he helped with the design of it.

25. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

A 'Steve Jobs Memorial Garden' is a nice idea, but recreating his office is a horrific thought. Luckily, I can't imagine it being considered for a single moment.