What Happened to the Commercials (SB LI)?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

First off let me say it, Super Bowl LI (2017) was an awesome game! I wasn't rooting for either team and just enjoyed the game itself.
    Halftime was over the top! :D

However... the commercials. While there were a couple of good ones, I was seriously disappointed at the blatant political plugging that companies and corporation rolled out. Lumber84, Coke, AirBnB, Google, some celebrities...
    Wish they would have left the politics out of the game. :oops:

As a last note, hats off to VP Pence taking two of our wounded warriors as guest to the game. Awesome appreciative gesture.

Still wondering what happened with the commercials. Why can't we just have and enjoy an American past-time?

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes, shocker that Coke did a commercial with a diverse cast singing America the Beautiful, it's not like they've ever made commercials about uniting people.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I'm genuinely sorry if people and companies expressing political views hampens your enjoyment of something, but honestly I don't really see the problem.
    Better back in the old days, before politics entered sports ads? Like back when Apple aired the totally unpolitical 1984 Super Bowl ad that expressed no political views regarding the surveillance state?

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm more annoyed by the absurd level of militarism that accompany the sports world. I couldn't help but feel the message continues to be that the flag is worthy of fetishizing.

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm with you on that.

The sheer amount of military pageantry before the Super Bowl is so surreal.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well, team games, especially at this level, have always been seen as an allegory of war. It shouldn't surprise or annoy you at all.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2017 ---
    I was happy about Lady Gaga, her political message(s) was artistically hidden, and she didn't really push politics into her work in a forced way (see last year).
    As for the commercials... they are commercial, paid for. They have nothing to do with the Superbowl itself.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why?

I don't like the military mindset that hangs over everything this country does in the world. I'm not supposed to be annoyed by it? Does any other country go anywhere near the level of militarism in their sports that we do?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In (some) other countries fans kill or attack each other, in the name of the jersey.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet that has nothing to do with blind military worship. The military is a deeply American fetish.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In the US military worship is heightened than most other countries, and that's comprehensible as the US have vast interests around the globe, have a non-compulsory army, and so on. It's just part of the mindset of a powerful country.

11. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I was surprised at that. I was expecting her to roll out something over the top. Glad she kept it very low key.

On the commercials, true. Usually I enjoy the commercials more. This time they seemed understated or political. There were a couple of decent ones though ;)

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Perhaps you and I just have different feelings on running an explicit military empire...

13. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

True and false. Then again, based on our past not a surprise. Other countries I frequently see sports as an arm of the government (China and Russia as examples). As an expression of the people ... not so much :(

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Professional sports never was an "expression of the people", it is a show for the people run by and for the 100 or so wealthy team owners and ad executives.

Bread and circus.

15. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

There has been one or two that will roll out a "Yeah us!" or "We are" commercials. This year though it was far more blatant. Commercials are supposed to promote the product I thought, not a political message. Especially at that cost (5-5.5 million for 30 seconds) :eek:
    In the US, yes for the most part. Think early baseball.

16. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Since when is personal freedom, diversity, and inclusion political?

And if it is, to which side does it belong?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as you're interested, I'd say you might want to read up on the advertising industry and it's techniques. Direct "this is our product, this is what it does" advertising hasn't been in fashion since the 50's. The current trend is to shape the image of the brand itself, coopting the positive messages (that the companies rarely actually adhere to) of the current cultural climate to make you think Coca-Cola is a peachy keen company that totally isn't stealing water around the world.

18. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Try watching the 84 Lumber commercial. Either the abbreviated one during the Super Bowl or the full version online.
    That was by far the mot blatant of the lot.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And what's the problem?

20. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I fully agree. When I finish watching a commercial and the name or product is not the focus of my memory or impression, it is a lost opportunity.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I grew up in what was the Roman Empire... SPQR! The US? Rookies ;)
    Gosh, that song reminds me of Christmas ... it was on tv, translated in Italian... stuck in my childhood memories.

But that ad is also hypocritical, due to the situation in South Africa.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No it's not. It's by design. The advertising industry employs an absurdly large number of sociologists and other academics who research how people think.

The notion that when you're watching an ad for tide that it's message is about Tide is absurd. The focus is clearly the way this product will change your circumstances to be a happier and more fulfilled person. Ever notice how mom's in laundry detergent commercials are just ever so happy that they now can get back to their Stepford Wife idyllic existence now that they don't have to focus so hard on laundry like they were when using that "other" brand? The idea isn't that you will remember Tide's new Turbo extreme x1000, but instead associate the BRAND with a good life.

The product itself hasn't been the core of advertising for nearly 30 years now. Have you heard the term "lifestyle" company? Everyone is trying to become one these days.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I would disagree that it isn't at the core. Certainly the days of "Buy my products!" are over, but the product is offered as the centerpiece of the improvement of your life. See Apple's ads.

24. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Just watched it. And the on-line only conclusion. Why is the universal tale of migration political?

That's what I don't understand?

Is it that they are likely South or Central American? Is it that they appear poor? Is it because they are trekking and not flying in? Is it that the young daughter [spoiler alert] is weaving together an American flag with the scraps she pics up? Is it the wall?

Why is this a political story to you and not an American story? Or a universal story?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's exactly what I said with "he idea isn't that you will remember Tide's new Turbo extreme x1000, but instead associate the BRAND with a good life."

Look at the airpots commercial, theres a sliver of direct advertising there. The message conveyed is clearly one of "freedom" tangentially related to the wireless nature of the earbuds, but clearly if you buys these hunks of plastic (which I'm actually wearing right now) you'll be able to really be yourself without a care in the world. You can walk on water/walls/defy gravity.

I should note that this (advertising and the mechanisms by which it operates) is a topic I read up on frequently and heavily. I'd suggest anything by Sut Jhally if you're interested in how advertising shapes the reality around us, it's fascinating stuff.