Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtsang777

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I have this odd screen distortion problems thats occurs sometimes and apple can't figure out the problem. They said its most likely pointed to a software issue. Is it rare for apple engineering to not able to resolve the problem? Who should I talk to if they are unable to fix the screen distortion on my computer? My computer is a Mid-2012 Macbook Air.

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 215

jtsang777

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
In what world is that a software issue? Talk to someone else.
I open my computer lid after sleep and this distortion happens for a split second before it goes away. I tried reformatting my computer and install Mac OS from fresh. This problem does go away when I had OS X Mavericks. But unfortunately, I can't use Mavericks as it is going to be unsupported soon and it does not work well with features like Live Photos in iPhoto app or inability to make calls from my iPhone using my computer.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That doesn't mean it's a software issue. Could be an inverter cable or something else. Writing it off as a software issue seems a bit lazy. Saying it's "most likely" something and not actually finding the root of the problem is not okay.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Mid-2012 is long out of warranty. If you are in Europe, you can request that they need to fix problems for about two years for free. On the other hand, having a problem that they cannot fix even if you pay money is a different category, so you could try to argue that _having a problem that they cannot fix_ after four years is their problem.

Obviously if they can't fix it, it won't be fixed. So you _could_ try to convince the manager of the store to give you a good rebate on a replacement machine. For iPhones, they do that automatically, and call it "out of warranty repair" where the "repair" consists of opening a drawer full with refurbished iPhones, and exchanging one of them with your phone. (Usually costs about 50% of what an equivalent phone would cost).

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
There's no mystery of this sort that can't be solved, if you're willing to throw money at it, and feel having an answer would be worthwhile. The question is, does a problem that occurs for just a few moments after wake-from-sleep justify the expense? At this point, with the warranty expired, Apple has no obligation to spend the money, so it's up to you.

Clearly, system diagnostics found nothing, so Apple doesn't have a clear justification for replacing a particular part(s). Since, presumably, you'd be paying for the repair, give Apple credit for not asking you to spend money on replacing components on a guess, "We think it may be the main logic board. We can replace it to find out for sure."

There may be a hardware fault, but it could be very subtle. Since it only happens right after wake-from-sleep and self-corrects, it "feels" like hardware. If this was a CRT, nobody would give the issue a thought - CRTs are often unstable immediately after startup. Since LCDs don't have the same characteristics, a momentary instability is more noteworthy.

I'd connect an external display, and see if the issue is duplicated on the external - that could help narrow things a bit.

When you erased and reinstalled OS X, did you then immediately restore from a backup, or did you run the machine "clean" for a while, to test it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.