What happens if I break my iPhone 6 on AT&T NEXT??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by malibuboats91, Sep 11, 2014.

1. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

Hey everyone I'm looking to upgrade all 3 lines on my account. I currently have 2 that are eligible for full upgrade and 1 that gets the $200 off or AT&T NEXT. I'm looking at the costs for each of my options with doing a contract vs NEXT and was wondering what happens if I don't insure a phone on NEXT and break it?? Also, I have always preordered through the Apple store, but am worried that the 6 plus will be too big. What is their return policy? AT&T said if I order through them I have a 14 day period to swap it out for the 6 if I choose to do so. Thanks in advance!

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

You get to continue paying off a broken phone, same as if you bought it with a credit card.

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

get Applecare + for $99 and you will be covered

4. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thats what I thought. Do you think its best going with NEXT or Contract?? Over a two year period it looks like it would be cheaper for me to do a contract since I only use 2ish GB of data a month.

[​IMG]

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep you just pay $79 for an accidental replacement. You can do that twice. Doesn't impact anything with Next. My boyfriend got a replacement for his 5 a few weeks ago, and nothing changed for him with T-Mobile.

6. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info! I think I'm actually cheaper off buying the phone under contract looking at my calculations. Do they look right to you?

7. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

Do the math again, remember that if you do contract again you don't get the $25 discount and you end up paying $25 a month plus the down payment of $199 or more, with Next you don't do down payment and pay $25 a month for the phone only...

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Even without Applecare you can get your phone replaced. Used to be $200, but it went up a bit. $270 now (don;t quote me on that price but it's under $300). Much better than just not having a phone IMO. ESPECIALLY on next.

I used to buy AC+ but then never used it. I have saved more money now than it would have cost me to replace a single phone. So I figure I will roll the dice, spend that extra $100 on more storage, and see what happens. Don't generally beat up my phones, so this makes sense to me. AC+ never seemed to increase resale value either, and it feels like a waste having it for only a year. It's like giving the buyer a free $50.

9. NativeTxn macrumors regular

Apple should have 14-day return/exchange policy, no restocking fee.

AT&T has a 14-day return/exchange policy too, but according to their website and an AT&T rep I spoke with yesterday, there would be a restocking fee up to $35 (I presume that this could be one of those things that might vary depending on which manager you had at a certain store, but according to their website, etc. there is a restocking fee).

AT&T Return Policy

Just something to keep in mind.

10. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys were right about the Next being a better deal overall. I ordered the 6 and 6 plus last night on contract then cancelled the orders this morning. My 6 plus wouldn't have been here for 14-21 days so I'll hopefully be able to pick one up at the AT&T store. Thanks!

11. sandmanfvr macrumors member

I put AT&T insurance only order just like on my 4s now. So why not get AT&T insurance on your next phone?

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

This is the first time i got applecare on a iphone after having everyone. I am tired of using cases and screen protectors. Since i only keep the phone for a year anyway i will go naked and will use up both apple care replacements. You figure your paying $30 for a case, then what another $13 every month for screen protectors. That is your one phone replacement right there. So i figure after 6 months i will get it replaced since it will be all scratched up, then in another 6 months a couple days before i sell it.

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

When you sell off your phone after a year, simply cancel the AppleCare and get some of your money back.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

With 72 days left on my AC+ warranty my iPhone 5 was replaced. Now I have a newer phone to sell on eBay.

15. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Because AT&T insurance charges a $199 deductible? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Aug 2012 that died in June of this year and had to pay their whopping $199 deductible. That's on top of $9.99/month since Aug 2012 for their insurance. Not a great plan at all.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Apple allows you to cancel apple care?

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yes and you get the unused portion back.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So at the end of a year, that;s $50 back? Is it in the form of Apple store credit? Or what form does the refund come in?

I never knew about this. I lost at least $100 over the years lol.

19. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Asurion is a rip off. My parents got it for me for my first smartphone. When I upgraded to my iPhone 5 the Verizon store employee asked me if I wanted to keep it. LOLNOPE.

20. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

I just ordered 2 16GB iPhone 6's on Next. I ran a comparison in excel and it looks like I'll save $800 over two years with my employer discount and the $25 discount per line. Now I just need to find a 64GB 6 plus for myself! Thanks for the help!

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I honestly don't remember how I got it back but here is the info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5688?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Interesting. That article speaks of a cancellation fee, which I couldn't find. Mind you I didn't search too hard. Dealing with my infant son and it;s too damn early lol.

23. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

yes Asurion is a rip off.

The refund would not be $50 after one year, but you would get something back.

From Apple Site.

If you cancel within 30 days of purchasing your AppleCare product, you'll get a full refund less the value of any service already provided.

If you cancel more than 30 days after purchasing your AppleCare product, you'll get a pro rata refund based on the percentage of unexpired AppleCare product coverage less the value of any service already provided. You can find the cancellation fee in the AppleCare product Terms and Conditions.

The guidelines may vary in your region, so read the Terms and Conditions specific to your product and country.

Gather the required information
    ■The AppleCare product number from the Proof of Coverage certificate
    ■The original sales receipt
    ■The serial number of the Apple hardware covered by the AppleCare product

From the terms of service. (i underlined the cancelation fee part)
    9. Cancellation

You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel this Plan, you may call Apple at the telephone number below to do so, or you may send or fax written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. (fax number 916-405-3973). You must send a copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase with your notice. Unless local law provides otherwise, if you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Plan’s purchase, or receipt of this Plan, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan. If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price. The pro rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan for fraud or material misrepresentation. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may also cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment are not available, upon thirty (30) days prior written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan for the unavailability of service parts, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan’s unexpired term.

24. erickpinto6005 macrumors newbie

The damage is on you.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like that was figured out about a year and a half ago at this point.