What happens if i want to reinstall windows on a macbook boot camp system?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by angryhive, Aug 26, 2008.

1. angryhive macrumors newbie

Hello. Right, I want to do a reinstall of windows on my macbook. What happens if i just bung the XP install disc in the CD drive and install it on the same partition as before without restoring a single partition first or anything like that? Terrible problems? Screwed up system unable to boot anything? Or much the same setup as before, except with a nice new install of windows?

I know which result I would bet on. But does anyone know if this would work? Or should i restore mac osx to a single volume first?

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

it's pretty much the same as the first time... just format the existing windows partition to get a true fresh install.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Agree with fresh BootCamp repartitioning - attempting to reinstall Windows on to a bad install won't help normally - been there, done that.

There is no need to reinstall OSX though......

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

wish i knew that before i did my reinstall of windows xp. i reinstalled my whole entire OS.

to the OP, just repatition the drive, delete partition and repartition it again. just follow the steps as before from that point on, boot from XP CD, run the installation process, etc.

5. angryhive thread starter macrumors newbie