What happens if my iPhone (1st gen) gets out of the AT&T 2-year-contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msharp, Jul 31, 2009.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

Hi all,

I apologize if this question has been asked before (I'm sure it has been asked and answered before somewhere, but I just couldn't find it after searching in the forum for 20 minutes).

So here it is. I have the 1st gen iPhone with the 2-year contract with AT&T. Now my contract is getting to the end, so what happens next? Do I have the ability to change to whatever carrier as I wish? Or will AT&T provide me a cheaper way to upgrade to the new iPhone 3GS?

I'm not really in need of a 3GS, but I would consider if it's a good deal.

Thanks in advance for tips and answers!

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

You'd be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS for $199/$299 for the 16/32 gig. Obviously this would require extending your contract.

Also, I think in the states you guys have different rates for 3G than EDGE data, so that may come into effect.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You are now eligible to renew your contract, take your business elsewhere, or get a new phone for a subsidized price for AT&T, effectively renewing your 2 year contract.

The iPhone 3Gs will be 199$ 16Gb and 299$ 32GB

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

If you don't want a 3G S, you should be eligible to upgrade to the 3G, which is a lot cheaper ($50!!!). The data plan would be the same for the 3G and 3G S though. But, if you really want, you could switch to another carrier. But why would you, to get the Palm Pre or LG Voyager? After using the iPhone (unless you hated it), anything else is sub-par

5. richardhunt macrumors regular

The Data plan on the 3G phones is $10 more than the 2G phones. You could also unlock it and use it on T-mobile if you want to switch carriers, but you would loose visual voicemail. Or you could just stay on your current plan and just go month to month until you decide you need to go to the 3GS, the extra memory and the extra speed is really worth the switch. I pondered doing the switch for about a month since the launch, after many visits to the apple store and comparing the performace on my old 2g with the new one, I finally bit the bullet and got the 32GB version.