What happens if the ssd fails outside warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I'm thinking of getting Apple care because of this but what would woukd they charge to replace the ssd? Apple care is $250 and might be worth it just for that if the charge to replace the storage is quite expensive.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd cal Apple and ask. The cost of the part may vary depending on the capacity.

Can I ask why you're concerned with the storage failing?

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Third party ones are a few hundred bucks.

You would be quite lucky if the SSD is what failed, as it's the only user replaceable part..

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are no 3rd party SSDs for current retina models.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

6. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not concerned short term but I spent $1,400 on the device I would like to know it will last at least 5-10 years

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Applecare only adds on two years for a total of three years coverage anyway, so won't help you beyond that point. Just going by reports here in the forums there seem to be very very few reports of the Apple OEM flash devices failing. IMO if that is the main reason you want Applecare, I'd skip it.

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

That's a whole lot of money for those drives. I bought my Apple MacBook Pro from Simply Mac Store and they gave me a 4 year warranty, promotion ended now. Hope those shown get cheaper very soon.

10. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

At $249 it is cheaper then paying for a ssd on that website for 256gb

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As someone else already pointed out, those seem to be Apple OEM parts, and are quite expensive.

3rd party options still don't exist.

Any SSD should last 5 years unless you're TRYING to kill it. AppleCare will only help you until year 3, then after that you're on your own.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... and if it does not fail in three years, that is $249 in your pocket. I just never saw the value in Applecare myself.

I would have to sit and add it them all up, but off the top of my head I have owned around ten Macs over the last 12 years and never once bought Applecare and never once had to take a Mac in for repair outside of warranty. So even if my current 13" rMBP broke and I tossed it in the trash and bought a new one, I would still be way ahead.

Apple is making a profit on Applecare or they would not sell it. Both you and Apple are playing the odds. If having AC makes you sleep better at night, then I think there is nothing wrong with that, but in no way is the value proposition there over time IMO.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If that happens you pay to have it fixed or fix it yourself with parts bought from ebay, or cut your losses and buy a new computer. Remember you can always just name it on your home insurance and claim against that for any issues.