What Happens If you Reinstall OSX With Bootcamp On Other Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smogsy, Aug 16, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

As Title Says.

If i have OSX Leopard on Drive 1 and Bootcamp on Drive 2 in a mac pro and say Snow Leopard Releases & i want to Reinstall OSX Snow Leopard Will it Auto Detect Bootcamp Drive Or Does it Vista64bit need to be reinstalled.

thanks
    sam

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well it shouldn't really matter since it is on another drive to start with. Your OSX installation now doesn't "auto-detect" the Boot Camp installation either. Other than the ability to originally set up the Boot Camp compatible partition and such with the Boot Camp Assistant, OSX doesn't know the partition exists for all practical purposes- only that an MS format disk exists in a given location.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The operating system has nothing to do with your Boot Camp partition. They're 100% completely independent. So no, installing Snow Leopard will not require reinstalling Vista, unless you really screw something up (fortunately that's hard to do).

jW

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

it shouldnt really matter, but i took precaution and removed the boot camp partition and then wiped my drive, then reinstalled leopard.

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, why are you doing a system restore and removing BootCamp in anticipation of an OS X update that's 6+ months away?