What happens if you show up at apple store without reservation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PurpleHeart, Sep 26, 2012.

1. PurpleHeart macrumors member

Has anyone tried this ? Or is everyone just turned away unless they have reservation?

3 apple stores within 20 minute drive, about 20 within 2 hour drive, and not a single one of them has in stock either 16 or 32gb white :(

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

i had to get a card for an available model and get in line

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

rep i spoke to said without a reservation, they would tell people they were out of stock.

4. jerrahh macrumors regular

i went to get another iphone earlier today with the reserve, if you reserve it online they take it put your name on it and lock it in a cage not to be touched for anyone but you. so if they sold out of reservations then your out of luck. they wouldnt even give me the phone cause my friend used his moms credit card. he brought her card and her license with him and they still refused.

5. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Depends. If you're buying unlocked, you'll have to get a card and queue. If you're buying on contract, its a 5 minute job (at least it seems to be in the UK at the moment - no queues for contracts at all, and the contract works out the same price as buying outright!)

6. BB.King macrumors regular

I went to Regent street store yesterday try to pickup a sim free phone, same experience, no sim free but lots contract phones.

I had look at the contracts, they all cost much more than sim free option, so why is Apple pushing contract phones, surely they can't get more from carriers than from selling sim free phones?

Rent: want to get dual link DVI cable as well, the biggest Apple store in London don't stock them! Lots of space for 3rd party iphone cases and no space to stock their own cable! 1st unhappy experience visting Apple store in 2 years.

Went on Amazon and brought a 3rd party cable for half the price. Take that Apple!

7. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Isn't the line only placed on launch day? I mean, what if I go 3 days later... do I still have to wait in line with my card until an employee walks me in?

8. Ronnie0 macrumors newbie

5 minute job? Who has stock on contract in the UK?

9. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I know the AppleStore Watford did. I walked in mid-day Saturday and picked one up. No queues for contracts, there was however a queue for off-contract.

----------

The price isn't actually all that different when you price it all up.

Take the standard 16gig iPhone 5 in my example below:

Off-Contract
    iPhone 5 16GB: £529
    Your own contract (which will be around £12 on average) over 24 months.
    24x£12.00 = £288
    TOTAL: £817

On-Contract
    Using the Three plan here as an example as it seemed to be the best plan - the T-Mobile/Orange ones were terrible!
    iPhone 5 16GB: £79
    24x£34 = £816
    TOTAL: £895

So by going off contract, you only save £78 over 2 years (or £3.25 a month if you look at it that way).

The Three plan I was comparing here is the 'Unlimited Internet 500.' plan, which is 500 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited internet.

One thing to note also - the three plans include tethering in their unlimited offering. T-Mobile and Orange charge extra for tethering, which was the deal breaker for me.

So far it's been good - I get a solid 14mbps in my average-signal area home. I did manage to get 19mbps yesterday.