What happens if your Macbook Fails under warranty but out of prodcuiton

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mashinhead, Nov 2, 2018.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68030

This is really a hypothetical post. I remember reading some stories about this in the past, but I'm curious about recent user expriences.

If you have a computer, cover by Applecare but toward the end of the warranty cycle, meaning about 3 years old (At this point the machine would be well out of production) and it fails, meaning it has to be replaced, what does Apple replace it with?

2. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

They will usually replace it with the newer generation of that model. So if I’m 2015 MBP died right now and needed a replacement but they didn’t have any stock, I’m sure they will give me a 2016-2018 replacement

3. chrfr macrumors 604

If it fails, it'll be repaired. Apple keeps service parts for 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured. It's exceedingly rare that Apple would replace the entire computer.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

4. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

This reply has the right idea! In most cases Apple will opt to just repair a unit as its not cost effective to replace. There are certain circumstances where they might opt to replace and the most common being an excessive amount of prior repairs. While the requirements to replace vary overall its unlikely a Mac with no or minor repairs previously will just be replaced. If you get to the point where a replacement is offered they'll offer you the latest Mac that best matches your old unit. Now if you want something better you can pay the difference.

On a side note outside the America's certain EU countries do have consumer rights that will give the customer the option to request a new unit instead of a repair and some other benefits. In the USA and other non-qualifying countries per their warranty its up to them what repair options to offer and they're not under an obligation to oblige by a request. Also you can't just bring bring a Mac bought in a non-qualifying country to one that does and ask for a replacement. Service options are dependent on the original country of purchase regardless where it ends up.