What happens to an itunes account and their downloads when somebody dies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgrl, Jun 18, 2009.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

This may seem like an odd question but I have been thinking about this and have done an internet search but can't seem to find an answer.

If a family member (for example) has an itunes account and has lots of songs / tv shows / movies downloaded and associated with their account. What happens to all there itunes downloads on their death. As the downloads are through their account does the account close and all their downloads go with it as you need the account to access itunes to play the downloads? Do you contact apple who change the account details? Can you inherit the downloads.

This may be a bit morbid but it must happen to people and I was curious about what happens.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Interesting thought. If it were a CD collection you could imagine everyone fighting over the good stuff, leaving Phil Collins Greatest Hits on the shelf ;)

It must happen, and people must inherit laptops etc. I wonder what Apple's stance is.

3. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking that too, with cds / dvds you just take the ones you want and leave the bad ones LOL but with itunes you need account details to view downloads.

It must happen all the time

4. sbking macrumors member

LOL, I can already imagine someone nearly dying at the hospital, and his child asking what his iTunes password is.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Interesting question. There must be an official policy on that at Apple.

6. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

in the UK i guess they'd be subject to a grant of probate and transfered to the executors of the deceased's estate

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Prior to last year the DCEDENT could be redownloaded up to 5 times, now with DRM free, they are free to reincarnate ad infinitum. :D

Seriously - owning DRM free music is akin to owning the single on vinyl. It would fall under the rules of probate if not directly bequeathed to an heir. Now hopefully, for any protected music, the heirs have the account name and password.

8. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Do apple allow for an account to be inherited or do they say that it is a breach of copyright?

9. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

There was actually an aritcle about this (not specific to iTunes) on CNN a couple of weeks ago. There are several companies that have started up that keep track of your online life. Once they have received word of your death, they attempt to contact you several times via e-mail, and if there is no response, all passwords and usernames are released to a pre-designated person. Kind of like a will for your online life.

Interesting new way technology affects our death...

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Accounts don't close.

There is an article on this recently on news sites.

Some companies started offering digital vault service, where they collect all digital account info with intention of passing onto offspring in the future.

11. alfmil, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

alfmil macrumors regular

Probably a good idea to add your username/password to your envelope labeled "open this upon my death."

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The same thing as what happens to your Myspace:

[​IMG]