What happens to Mac App Store apps if old Macbook is sold?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rosamune, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Rosamune macrumors newbie

Good morning!

My parents are buying me a new MacBook Pro for my birthday, and in return, I am giving them my 1.5 year old 13-inch. Since iTunes and the Mac App Store are connected to my credit card, I of course want to remove all my account info from that laptop before giving it to them.

I've tried Google, and can't find an answer to what happens to the apps currently installed on the system when I remove my AppleID info. I don't think my parents care about Angry Birds, but I purchased the new iPhoto through the App Store and I know they'll want to store their own photos on the machine when it's theirs.

Will the current version of iPhoto stay installed, but they just can't update it through the store, or will the new version cease to work? If it does stop working, will I be able to roll back to the previous version that came with the machine, so that they have it to use instead?

Thanks in advance!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can't give a definite answer, but I believe at a minimum, the installed apps wouldn't be able to be updated after your iTunes account has been disassociated with the machine. It seems unlikely Apple would do any auto-uninstall of paid applications on the machine. There's likely something in the Apple end user license agreement that says you'll remove the apps if you're getting rid of it.