What happens to my old iPhone if I get an upgrade to 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by infosprt, Dec 21, 2008.

1. infosprt macrumors regular

I was wondering what functionality my old iPhone will have if I upgrade to the 3G model. I will keep the same phone number with the new 3G iPhone.

Will the old one still work, e.g. its functionality be the same as the iPod touch for example (with the addition of a camera and speakers)? Will I be able to sync it? Or, will it become a brick?

Thanks,

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Keep it and use it as an iPod touch with a camera. Also, search, please.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Sigh...I'll do you a favorite and take your phone for you.

4. infosprt thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick responses.

Search? I did do a quick scan of the new posts and didn't see one related. Besides what search term would you use for something like this that would give you results. I just tried "3G Upgrade" and got a bewildering set of possibilities. Sometimes asking anew is much quicker.

Thanks again.

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Once you get the 3G, your old 1st gen. iPhone will be relegated to a drawer....

6. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

It's theoretically supposed to be deactivated, but if you jailbreak and unlock it you will have full functionality regardless of what at&t does on their end.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Says who?

8. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Says at&t.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Obvious lies. You can switch sim cards out of both first gen and 3G and it will work without issues.

10. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

It's not a lie.

As per AppleInsider:

"AT&T says original iPhones can be deactivated and used as WiFi iPods

By Slash Lane
    Published: 08:00 AM EST

AppleInsider reader poll:
    What do you plan to do with your old iPhone?
    Give it to a family member
    Give it to a friend
    Sell it to offset iPhone 3G cost
    Keep it as a WiFi iPod
    Smash it and post a video of the smashing online
    Original iPhone owners who prefer not to give away or sell their old iPhones after upgrading to an iPhone 3G can instead keep their devices and use them as WiFi-enabled iPods, AT&T has confirmed.

The exclusive US provider for the Apple handset issued a series of documents and videos this week instructing existing iPhone owners on the steps necessary to hand down their old phones to family members or friends after purchasing a new 3G model.

Although that's the route AT&T prefers, as it generates high margin service revenues for each additional iPhone on its network, it's not the only option owners have.

A spokesperson for the carrier confirmed to AppleInsider that neither AT&T nor Apple will prevent de-activated first-generation iPhones for serving as surrogate iPod touches.

"If the [original] device is not re-activated as a wireless phone after you’ve upgraded to iPhone 3G, it will still work as an iTunes player and can access Wi-Fi," the spokesperson said.

That means old iPhones can still surf the web, check email, and browse the mobile iTunes store when connected to WiFi. Additionally, they'll be able to function as a handheld gaming device and widescreen video iPod with calendar and photo functions.

It's recommended that owners who take this approach upgrade their original iPhones with iPhone Software v2.0 (which includes the App Store) on July 11th prior to de-activating the devices, as it's unclear whether upgrades to non-active handsets will be possible."

Here is the link:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/02/att_says_original_iphones_can_be_inactivated_and_used_as_wifi_ipods.html

Keep in mind that this is for those doing it by the book. Once you upgrade your phone, your original phone is theoretically supposed to be deactivated.

Keep in mind that people who visit this site tend to be more tech savvy and will know how to circumvent the limitations.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

What you are suggesting is that Apple will remotely disable your phone from future Phone function if you stop AT&T subscription.

First gen as well as 3G will work without sim cards, period. With or without any technical background.

12. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

That's not what I'm suggesting.

How can you place a call without a sim card? As a matter of fact, you don't even have to answer. I don't want to debate this. You win. :)

13. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

You could unlock it and sell it. I'm pretty sure there is still a big market for unlocked 1st gen phones since people don't want to be locked to AT&T, don't want expensive plans, etc;

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Hey man, just trying to get the right info out there.