What Happens to Republican Whistleblowers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stillwater
    With each new outrage, I ask myself "how long can the republican members of congress stay loyal to these criminals?" when Shrub and Shooter show nothing but contempt for every part of the federal government except for themselves. You'd think at some point even conservatives would get fed up with this BS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankBlack
    A few have. Boston radio host and Herald columnist Howie Carr is about as white-male-conservative as you can find, and he can't bear Bush, or Cheney. He's even gone as far as saying the they have totally mismanaged their respective offices. I suspect some conservatives are fed up, as you suggest. But they're keeping their mouths shut, possibly out of fear of retribution. Just a suspicion of mine, nothing more. No information to support it.

============================================

I found this on the web this morning, and in light of stillwater and FrankBlack's comments in the Cheney discussion, this is very illuminating. If the Republican party is eating its own when they have dissenting views, I shudder for the future.

http://harpers.org/archive/2007/06/hbc-90000351

This woman has had her home burned down, her car run off the road, all because she felt that framing a state governor was wrong. And Karl Rove is the puppetmaster pulling the strings.

http://harpers.org/archive/2007/06/hbc-90000357

2. stillwater macrumors regular

Wow, I wonder how many of these kind of prosecutions have been carried out. The administration is certainly sending a clear message that loyalty matters above all else, especially ethics. They will do anything to consolidate their power.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Let's see, according to ePluribusMedia

http://www.epluribusmedia.org/columns/2007/20070212_political_profiling.html

Data* indicate that the offices of the U.S. Attorneys across the nation investigate seven (7) times as many Democratic officials as they investigate Republican officials, a number that exceeds even the racial profiling of African Americans in traffic stops.

If you review the pdf file, "Appendix A," you will see that the administration investigated 298 Democrats, 67 Republicans and 10 Independents.

And from the aforementioned Harpers article:

...Under the direction of the White House, and particularly Karl Rove, the Justice Department undertook a series of prosecutions designed to undermine the positions of elected Democratic officeholders and help the Republican Party take their positions.

...Jack Abramoff, a protégé of Karl Rove and Tom DeLay, sought White House intervention to fire the U.S. Attorney in Guam. “I don’t care if they appoint bozo the clown, we need to get rid of Fred Black,” Abramoff wrote in March 2002.. And indeed, following White House intervention, the U.S. attorney was fired, a Republican party functionary was appointed in his place, and the investigation that threatened to expose a seedy Abramoff operation involving human trafficking was shut down.

...Similarly, we have documented meddling to protect Republicans in San Diego, Los Angeles, Little Rock, Kansas City, and Arizona.

...And then, still more troubling, there is White House intervention to persecute their political opponents: the telltale sign of tyranny. Georgia Thompson was a state contracting officer in Wisconsin prosecuted for corruption when she awarded a bid to a contractor that had made campaign contributions to the state’s Democratic governor. The fact that the contractor was the low bidder was apparently considered irrelevant to the prosecutor.

Are conspiracy theorists the only sane people left? Will this administration willingly give up the White House at the end of this term?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

coup

noun
    1. a sudden and decisive change of government illegally or by force [syn: coup d'etat]
    2. a brilliant and notable success

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

6. Queso macrumors G4

I take every word I said about US gun control back. You lot are going to need every weapon you can get your hands on.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been saying that for a long time.

8. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I should note that I'm not advocating a coup, simply pointing out that I think one has already occurred, albeit non-violent and unspoken. When the mass media press is refusing to investigate corruption, Congress is unwilling to act on behalf of the people, and the interests of corporations outweigh the needs of the people, America has already been subjected to a coup.

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Good god is all I can say. Are there any rich billionaires with a grudge against Bush and Co. who have the power to set up a strong liberal media front against Bush? That's about as much as you can do in these kind of situations; galvanize the masses against the "oppressors".

10. stillwater macrumors regular

That's a good question. It's getting easier to picture a scenario where the administration tries to suspend the 2008 election after a manufactured crisis of some kind.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A bunch of selfish, greedy, power hungry madmen took over and we let them.

I'd like to see them try.

12. stillwater macrumors regular

I didn't say they would succeed. I imagine all hell would break loose if they did try it.

I mean, I hope all hell would break loose.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In all seriousness, I'm getting to believe that myself. I've been a proponent of gun control, and I'd rather leave the coup prevention to the National Guard...but Bush took over the National Guard from the governors, and anyway they're all in Iraq.

I'm as serious as a heart attack when I say this, but if I were Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid, I'd be talking to the Joint Chiefs and saying, "If this administration ever orders you to use the U.S. military against us (Congress) or the American people...are you gonna obey?"

14. Josephkyles macrumors regular

This reply is addressed to no one. I just thought people here might like it or at least appreciate it.

"Republicans want the government to be your daddy, Democrats want the government to be your mommy. Libertarians want the government to treat you as an adult."

I love that quote.:)

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Skunk,

I think this question, albeit brief, deserves an honest, detailed answer. However, there is opinion mixed with fact.

President Clinton was a dam, holding back the the floodgates of the neo-conservative and corporate imprisonment, which had been gaining momentum for several years. The 'right' had gained control of congress, but could not really move their agenda forth with a democratic president.

When Bush stole the election, the dam gates burst. Within a short period of time, every 'appointee' had been removed, in favor of a (usually unqualified) neo-conservative. Their first targets were the justice department and EPA. Then the pillage began.

...Dammit, I am sorry. I just cannot continue. I have moved beyond he point of anger, to just wanting to weep. These bastards have stolen our country. The question is, 'Do we have the balls to take it back?"

I would be scared of the US, regardless of where I live.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'd think, but I don't know anymore.