What happens to the Apple Watch when you switch phones? (6 to 6s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by venividivigor, Sep 19, 2015.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

Does it force restore it? Does it reset completely? Or does it automatically switch over?

2. SidBoggle macrumors regular

You'll need to unpair it from your current phone (which will backup the watch to the phone) . Then backup the phone. Restore the phone backup to your new phone. Finally pair the watch to your new phone.

Also worth noting that if you want to keep all your health data and activity history the phone backup needs to be an encrypted backup via iTunes.

If you are not bothered about keeping all the old settings then just unpair from current phone and then pair to the new one.

3. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

Dang that is such a hassle, do messages not return after restoring a backup? Cuz I remembered the last time I restored my watch I lost all my messages on it and some data.

I'm slightly confused, does unpairing reset and wipe the watch?

4. Newtons Apple, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I know it has been said before but it is worth saying aging that you must have an ENCRYPTED BACKUP to bring over your health data. If not all health data will be lost.

This is going to be a problem for many on Friday.

5. SidBoggle macrumors regular

It does reset and wipe the watch but it takes a backup at the same time. Then when you pair to a new phone you have the option to load the old backup or start afresh. I believe you should get the messages back if you restore from backup.

6. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Do an encrypted backup so your health data is maintained.

7. mikey12806 macrumors member

8. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Ah darn, that's why I lost so much data. The only way to keep everything is through iTunes?

9. mikey12806 macrumors member

No - per Apple, health data is backed up via iCloud too. Your health data should be synced with your iPhone.