What happens to the old phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DArsenault, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DArsenault macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I upgrade iPhone's every "major" release so this will be my third time doing so (iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 4) but two years was a long time ago so my memory is a little bad.
    However, if I remember right once you switch over to the new phone, your previous phone essentially just loses phone functionality. But can still function like a glorified iPod touch right? So wifi and all the features would work, minus anything that requires a phone plan?
    Just trying to figure out what I will be able to still use this thing for.
  2. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Jul 27, 2012
    Hollywood, CA
    Yes, everything will work normally, minus making phone calls or sending texts. I think iMessage will still work?
  3. volzalum macrumors member

Jan 9, 2011
    This year, with iOS 6, once your new phone activates the phone being replaced beams itself to n apple warehouse.
  4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Mar 18, 2009
    Not if I surround the old iPhone with transparent aluminum.

Attached Files:

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

Oct 14, 2007

Beam me up scotty !!

We only have Gsm versions in the uk so normally an owner unlocks it to all networks or sells it leaving the new owner just to slip in their own sim card.
  6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2011
    A keyboard, how quaint.
  7. Deedolito macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2010
    It's activated, so it will tell you 'no SIM installed', but surely work as a kind of 'iPod Touch' :)
  8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
  9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2010
    I pulled out an old 3 the other day. Works fine. You do need to turn off cellular as it keeps wanting to connect somewhere. Just do wifi.

There will be thousands here telling you how to sell them and totally baffled that you have not.
  10. cbutters macrumors member

Jul 27, 2012
    You put it in a ziploc bag, package it up, and send it to this address:

[insert my home address here]

but seriously, if you have no use for your phone, PM me and maybe we can cut a deal.