Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim01

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
What happens to the old versions of iPods once the new ones come out? Do they drop the prices of them at all? I am in the market for a Touch and was looking at the 8GB refurbs on apple.com because that it my price point. Then I heard the new ones are coming out next week so decided to wait.

Any chance of old Touchs dropping in price? I'm just not familiar with what usually happens.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
When the new ones come out, most stores stop selling the old one, in place of their new counterparts. So you will have to search for the old touch, but apple may have some in their refurb store (very cheap) from time to time.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Apple will stop selling them new, and if any are on the refurb store, then their prices may drop slightly. Prices on other online sites will drop for new ones, but they will probably drop more slowly and over a longer period of time.

Jim01

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Hmmm. My concern is that my price point is $199 or so. I don't plan on spending $299 for an iPod. So right now the $199 refurb on apple.com is right up my alley, but I wanted to wait until the announcements Tuesday to see what they say. Does anyone thing there is a chance new touches will be $199? Sounds like most think the 16GB will become $299 and they'll drop the 8GB.

I want to hear what they say Tuesday but if $299 is still the lowest Touch I'll still go with the refurb 8GB. I just want to make sure those aren't going to dissappear off the refurb site once the new ones are announced.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Hmmm. My concern is that my price point is $199 or so. I don't plan on spending $299 for an iPod. So right now the $199 refurb on apple.com is right up my alley, but I wanted to wait until the announcements Tuesday to see what they say. Does anyone thing there is a chance new touches will be $199? Sounds like most think the 16GB will become $299 and they'll drop the 8GB.

I want to hear what they say Tuesday but if $299 is still the lowest Touch I'll still go with the refurb 8GB. I just want to make sure those aren't going to dissappear off the refurb site once the new ones are announced.
I do not think that Apple will drop the price of the baseline touch model. I too think that they will drop the 8GB, and offer the 16GB at $299, and the 32GB at $399, but I do not think that they will offer the baseline model for the 2nd generation touch at anything less than $299, but you might be able to snag a current 8GB iPod touch at the refurb for slightly less after an announcement.

Jim01

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Well thanks to slickdeals.net I found a link to get $20 off so the refurb 8GB on apple.com would be $179. Hard to beat that. I am going to read the return policy and see what it is. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy it, then if they announced something grand I'll just return it. Can products purchased on apple.com be returned to a B&M Apple store?

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Well thanks to slickdeals.net I found a link to get $20 off so the refurb 8GB on apple.com would be $179. Hard to beat that. I am going to read the return policy and see what it is. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy it, then if they announced something grand I'll just return it. Can products purchased on apple.com be returned to a B&M Apple store?

LOL. Even if they do announce something grand it won't be in the 199.00 price range like you want.

Like the others said, the baseline will still be 299.00 most likely. I highly doubt they are going to change the ipod touch too much.

Jim01

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Yeah I am beginning to think the refurb is for me. I have a 4GB mini and the space has never been a concern, but it's about 4-5 years old and just doesn't hold a charge anymore. My wife got me a new 4GB nano for my birthday but after seeing it was $149 I returned in because I knew for a few dollars more I could get a refurb touch or a classic with a TON more space.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Yeah I am beginning to think the refurb is for me. I have a 4GB mini and the space has never been a concern, but it's about 4-5 years old and just doesn't hold a charge anymore. My wife got me a new 4GB nano for my birthday but after seeing it was $149 I returned in because I knew for a few dollars more I could get a refurb touch or a classic with a TON more space.

Also if you really had the patience to wait Apple will eventually have the new touches as refurbs but that's going to be a while so if you can't wait, I'd buy a current refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.