What happens to the warranty on your 1G iPhone?

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
My mobile broke a while back, and I've been given (by a relative) a first-gen iPhone since they've just upgraded to the 3G. I've unlocked it and everything, but I was wondering what happens to the warranty service. If something happens to this (not related to unlocking, obviously) and it needs fixing or replacing, can I just restore it and take it to an Apple store with the original SIM card inside and they'll sort it out?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
My mobile broke a while back, and I've been given (by a relative) a first-gen iPhone since they've just upgraded to the 3G. I've unlocked it and everything, but I was wondering what happens to the warranty service. If something happens to this (not related to unlocking, obviously) and it needs fixing or replacing, can I just restore it and take it to an Apple store with the original SIM card inside and they'll sort it out?
Settings -> General -> About

Copy serial number and visit https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Settings -> General -> About

Copy serial number and visit https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
Yah, the limited warranty applies until November. I'd get the extra AppleCare, but only if I can be confident this phone will be serviced one way or another. Anyone know? As far as I can remember, you always needed a contract bound to your current phone to get an iPhone fixed... is that right?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Yah, the limited warranty applies until November. I'd get the extra AppleCare, but only if I can be confident this phone will be serviced one way or another. Anyone know? As far as I can remember, you always needed a contract bound to your current phone to get an iPhone fixed... is that right?
Restore it and bring it into Apple. Search is your friend.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I woudl assume that the phone would have to have a number attached to it. If you don't have ATT then I don't think they will help you.