What happens to users who don't upgrade to iOS 7 in the long term?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by FHayek, Oct 3, 2013.

1. FHayek macrumors member

My question is not meant as red meat. I'm relatively new to iPhones, so bare with me.

What happens if one chooses not to update to the newest iOS?

Will one's experience suffer? Will the phone stop working properly? Will there be compatibility issues with apps etc.?

Thanks-

FH

2. defunct32, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

defunct32 macrumors regular

What happens to users who don't upgrade to iOS 7 in the long term?

You'll be punished by Apple and the authorities will come and fetch you for questioning.

Lol, nah, from what I know apps will no longer be compatible as in future updates and newer apps as they will require iOS 7 to run, you can still download legacy version or whatever they call that? Whereby the app store will find the last most compatible app for you. I highly doubt Apple will direct force you to upgrade but eventually everyone will get on with the times, for your info, I am on iOS 6 and am holding on for as long as I can.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

You're "smartphone" won't get any smarter. iOS 7 will continue to get the cool new stuff. That's about it.

4. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Your phone will never just stop working. It will continue to work just as it does and has with no changes planned. Ever. Apps should continue to work (especially now that Apple allows the legacy downloads) but they may not get any future updates, because that may require iOS 7.
    I'm personally holding onto iOS 6 for as long as possible. The only thing that would tempt me to iOS 7 is a jailbreak, but I'm not sure if that will even yet.

5. zipster macrumors 6502

Nothing.

Some apps require the latest OS for a number of reasons, but my friend is on iOS 4 (has a jailbreak, doesn't/didn't want to upgrade to 5 or 6 with a jailbreak, for whatever reason) and his phone still does everything he wants.

6. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

His "smartphone" will be dropped out from school :D:D You'll need to upgrade if you want to use new app features

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did that going from 5 to 6. Eventually the main apps I use required iOS 6. I was forced to update.

8. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Probably one of your favorite app would be ios 7 only or higher. And either you have to upgrade to ios 7 or dont update the app and keep using it.

That's about it I think.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Plus, you will always be able to download an older version of an app that you own from the app store. Apple started allowing this a few weeks ago.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Not to mention you won't be able to use the new influx of game controllers that are coming out that will only be supported in iOS 7.

11. elistan macrumors 6502a

1. Once Apple releases a new iOS version, they do not update the old one. If security vulnerabilities are discovered for that old version, they will not be patched. (That I know of. I could be mistaken here, and would welcome info to the contrary if anybody has any.)

2. Some apps could have updates, or new apps released, that require iOS 7 or newer. You wouldn't be able to run those.

3. You won't have access to any new features introduced with the new iOS version.

4. Some people have reported automatic downloads of newer iOS versions, which while the install of the new OS is not forced, the download still takes up a fair bit of storage space.

12. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

My extended family are total non-techies. They don't update anything. I end up being their tech support person.

One person owned an iPhone 4 and never updated his iOS. He was still on iOS 4.x. He doesn't really download apps, so he didn't have any issue for the longest time. Recently, we started using WhatsApp messenger. When I tried to install WhatsApp on his phone, it wouldn't because his iOS version was so old. I ended up having to update his iOS. I could not do so over the air because the iOS version was so old. I had to connect it to his PC and install it via iTune. However, I cannot do it via iTunes because his iTunes version on his PC was too old. I ended up having to update his iTunes and then update iOS on his phone.

He recently got an iPhone 5. He's likely not going to update the iOS until something stops working or doesn't work for him.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yes it is true Google complained and NSA police listened they stopped by at my place and took away my iPhone 3GS and gave me a spanking new Samsung Galazy S2!! (I didn't like it I sold it at the eBay. :apple:

14. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Apple now allows older versions of apps to download. The "pain" of not updating will not be as strongly felt as in versions of the past.

15. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

More than likely the only thing that will happen is if you try to download a new app you will get a message saying you have to upgrade to iOS7.XX to install. I remember having 3G iPhone jailbroken and not updating for more than 6 months and then trying to download a new app and getting this message.

16. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Does Apple also allow the legacy downloads for Mac apps.

17. fark macrumors regular

I'll decline to 'bare' with you.

18. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

I haven't seen any stories on it... No idea tbh. Probably a Google search away!

19. Ann P macrumors 68020

Your phone is not gonna slow down or anything but you won't get the latest app support/updates.

20. koban4max macrumors 68000

your phone will become outdated.................

21. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I wonder why Apple chose to allow legacy apps to be downloaded?
    Did they know that ios 7 was rushed out and incomplete?

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The Legacy apps update was announced before iOS7 was officially released.

23. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

I never understand anyone not updating just makes no sense, i even have family that are hopeless at updating & they are graphic & web designers. I am fairly sure they only just updated their macs to leopard to which they had to get disks for :D

24. badman89 macrumors regular

This story is hilarious, but I wish it continued into further absurdity:

"However, I cannot do it via iTunes because his iTunes version on his PC was too old. I ended up having to update his iTunes and then update iOS on his phone." But I couldn't update his iTunes because his PC's operating system (Windows) was not up to date. I had to convince him to buy the latest version of Windows. Then when he finally agreed I realized that his hardware spec is too low to install he latest version of Windows. Then when I tried to convince him to upgrade his hardware, he blew his lid off and screamed at me: "You want me to drop hundreds of $ on new hardware just so that you can save a couple of bucks on texts by using WhatsApp? ******* you Stuntman06!"

25. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Nothing really. Your experience will pretty much just remain constant. The place where you would experience problems is when an app that is dependent on outside calls(calling back across to a server hosting important info) is not updated in iOS 6.1.3, when the APIs change for iOS 7.1.3 or iOS 8.1.2, etc...

I have an iPod Touch 2, It's stuck at iOS 4.something. It still plays music, runs netflix and TuneIn Radio, and plays plenty of standalone games that were made for iOS 4.something. I can't get much/any newly released games/apps for it. But it still runs just fine.