What happens when my Time Machine drive runs out of space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cattywampus_, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I am currently using a 270GB drive to backup around 240GB of Data.

Now its saying there is 9GB left on the TM backup drive. So obviously there have been file changes and/or files added to the backup - so what happens when the drive gets full?

Does it delete older versions and just keep a rolling backup to the oldest possible? Or will it eventually say It cannot back up anymore data?

Sincere apologies if this has been asked before.

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

A hole ripped through the entire space-time continuum?? :D

I'd imagine no more backups?

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

once TM runs out of space,it's starts deleting for the beginning of the weekly backups

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

But it warns you before it starts deleting anything!

You really should read the time machine facts thread before posting anything about the application. The thread has all the answers

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

TM using too much space?

I love Time Machine (and Leopard!!), but I've noticed that everytime I plug in my HD and TM does its thing, it is using up somewhere between 100-600MB when I have only placed on less than 100 MB of known files. What else is TM placing on the HD? Is it copying my whole Safari cache or something? Is there anyway to stop this. I feel that at this rate, its going to fill up my HD with useless files.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The answer is yes, and yes. Check out the time machine preferences. There is a directory specifically for caches on your harddisk; exclude that from being backed up.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, I need a little help. I found out how to exclude certain folders from being backed up each time through TM Preferences. Now, I need help finding the Safari cache.

In user/library/caches, I found two suspect Safari folders. One is "com.apple.safari" which contains a file called "cache.db" (which is in the 200 MB range. Is this the cache that keeps on changing while browsing? Or is it "user/library/cache/safari" folder (which only seems to be about 20 MB in size. Which one is the best for not backing up each time. I am mostly interested in trying to cut down the space TM uses by only backing up files that I actively added to my computer myself (pdfs, mp3s, docs, pictures, etc.)

Thanks a lot.