What happens when you “reactivate” your iPhone 2g with the i4 micro sim and adaptor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotarypower101, Jun 24, 2010.

1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

What happens when you “reactivate” your iPhone 2g with the i4 micro sim and micro sim adaptor?

Wondering what happens with the data plan if you change over to the iPhone 2g in case of emergencies/unforeseen circumstances, or if you need a phone that is more acceptable for loss or damage. Will this change the unlimited aspects of the plan?

Does this re-sign you up for 2 years from the reactivation of the 2g, or does it just continue service as one would think it should, as there is no subsidy or contract renewal going on.

I know its early, but has anyone tried this yet?

Assuming att makes this a poor choice for users to swap phones when it is advantageous , what are the option for making the iPhone 2g compatible with the new micro sim and the i4 simultaneously?

Is JBing and unlocking the 2g a option to make the sims compatible simultaneously?

Can anyone definitively answer this question at this point?

Also a side question, I know I will want unlimited data for the foreseeable future, are there any precautions that I can take to lock myself in so att cant change my unlimited data to a limited plan?
    I have heard that some have called in and requested that there be a note on the account that no changes be made to the data plan without written conformation, is this a prudent solution to the issue?

_TIA

2. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

I used to swap my 3G SIM into my EDGE all the time. It worked just as if it were a normal phone.

Now, if you jailbreak the 2G with a 3G SIM, it'll try and give you the cheaper EDGE package when you activate it. You'll get errors and even a phone call from AT&T. This happened to me, told them that I just wanted it as a spare. They moved my account back to the 3G plan and all was well. I simply told them that I wanted to use my old phone as a spare in case I needed it.

I used my EDGE all the time, and I use it when traveling to Europe with random SIMs.

I ASSUME it would be the same now. The issue is the fact that it's a MicroSim now.

3. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

So I just did an experiment.

I turned my iPhone 4 off and my iPhone 3G back on.

NO SERVICE!

Apparently, the old SIM has been deactivated or something.

Hmmmm, so can you clone a MicroSim to a normal SIM? I would like to know, as I want to continue to use my EDGE or 3G as spares or phones that I use when going to the beach, camping, etc.

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No SIM cloning unless you want to get some jail time.

You can get a plastic Micro SIM tray adapter that allows you to use your active Micro SIM in a Mini SIM phone.

Only one active SIM per line of service.

Dave

5. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

Parson my ignorance, but are commercial adaptors available?

I've only done a tad of research, but I've only seen adaptors that require cutting up some kind of plastic credit type card.

6. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

7. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

anybody have information on these 2 question they would like to pass along?

8. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Has anyone used their original iPhone after getting the iP4s microsim and using an adaptor?

Can anyone speculate on the repercussions of using the original iPhone with microsim,with respect to the contract duration if one is to use the original iPhone ?

Thank you