What happens when you take your iPhone to the airport security? Do they have to X-ray it and unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jul 23, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Or you can carry it with you without taking it out pocket?
    We are going from Florida to Jamaica and I wasn't sure how that works. I don't want to take out my iPhone and gets stolen or broken.

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

You just drop it in the tub with your other personal items. Keep an eye on it as it goes through the scanner and comes out the other side. There is a chance they will ask you to show that it works, but I've never had that happen. Don't worry about it and have a fun trip.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I leave mine in a zippered pocket in my carry on along with an iPad and rarely have had to remove it for TSA.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just got back from a trip. I just put mine in the bin right next to my sneakers and collect it on the other side. No worries. @EDH667 has a good suggestion of putting it in your carry on bag.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My iPhone 5 always goes in my carry-on or in the pocket of my coat when I put it through the scanner. Never had a problem in the U.S. Always take extra caution when traveling internationally though.

Edit: And yes, TSA will make you take it out of your pants pocket. Shouldn't be a problem once you land though.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

Put my wallet and electronics in my carry along with thousands of dollars of camera equipment, never had a problem.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Come to the U.K. And then leave. You have to lay all electronics in the tray out of there cases. It's a pain in the ass

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

You have to take it out and let those security guys check it via x-way.

If they still in doubt, they have the right to ask you to unlock it (make sure it's a real phone).

9. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

Never had to do this with my carry on, 2 x dslr, ipad, 4x lenses and phone. Plus, usual cables etc.

10. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

My phone is always in my purse or carry on bag. I've never been asked to take my phone or tablet out. Only my laptop I've been asked to take out.

11. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I fly all the time (in America). I've never been asked to display functionality on it. It goes in the X-ray tub with everything else. No problem.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Nothing at all. I usually just toss it into the bin or put it into my backpack/carry on and take it out again on the other side.

I don't think people are stealing iPhones from airport security. Everyone has an iPhone these days

13. Indian Devil macrumors regular

They may ask you to show its functional but that happens very rarely. I always put mine in the carry along with my laptop, never asked to take it out.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They've never asked to see my phone work, and given the long lines and the volume of people who have smart phones, I don't think they ever go through the hassle of asking to see if the phone works. Going through the X-ray machine is sufficient.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I didn't

I put both my phones in my bag at Birmingham airport

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I got pulled up a couple of weeks ago because I'd left my iPad in my rucksack. They were not bothered about the iPhone and camera which were also in the bag but I had to take out the iPad and send it all through the scanner again.

17. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I had to get a camera out once when going to France from UK. Was not really a pain. I don't see this as an issue if they ask you to unlock your phone. I would rather they be careful and increase safety for travelers.

18. MacUser09 macrumors regular

At London airports, I am always asked to remove MBA or iPad from carry on, and place in tray. Staff always say Kindle no problem. Phone stays in bag.

19. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

i know my country is tops
    1 iphone per person

2+ more they try to make money from us and has to give them tips 10$ or 20 $ dollar to pass a gate

that so ediot

20. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I just put it in my carry on bag with my wallet and watch, never had any problems what so ever.

21. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It really depends on do they have any info about possible "special pax" will go though the channel. If yes, I am sure they will do everything they can. If not, they may do nothing and let you keep your phone inside the carry on bags.

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I travel often. Always goes in carryon bag. Never, ever, ever been asked to show it works. Same with IPAD. Last time I had to turn on computer was maybe 10+ years ago.

23. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

My iPhone running the iOS Passbook app is my ticket and boarding pass both at TSA and at the gate.