What happens with iPhone 5 replacement at the store..?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBillups1, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

What happens when you need to get your iPhone 5 replaced and it is discontinued...? Will you be given a 5S?

since the phone is no longer being produced and only have so many in stock and what not... :confused: :confused:

2. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

when those are gone..

they are gonna re-anodize them? what about scruff, scratches, dents..?

3. OMAC83 macrumors member

They will surely have old stock, I've heard stories on here of people getting original iPhone replacements and they've certainly discontinued making those

4. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

They still have 3GS phones they can replace. Don't count on breaking your phone and getting upgraded, doesn't happen except in extreme circumstances.

5. spades1412 macrumors 6502

They will simply replace it with another iPhone 5. Just because you cannot purchase one anymore does not mean they do not have ample supply to cover applecare replacements.

6. Warcake macrumors regular

I know you want to think you'll be given a 5s, because who doesn't. But surely they'll have tons of old stock. You will get a 5 no matter what.

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

The only upgrade I think you could hope for is a boost in capacity.
    When my 8GB iPhone 3G almost went flat I sent it in for warranty as was sent back an iPhone 3G 16GB.
    Good luck with that though, I was lucky.

8. Spacial macrumors 6502

Many indicators I've read about over the last few weeks speculate that Apple has tons of leftover iPhone 5's. Thats great for those who will have exchanges & warranty issues. Apples not about to give out iPhone 5S models as replacements. It's just too expensive.

9. jkauff macrumors member

That's not even counting all the used inventory Apple's going to have from the new Sell Your iPhone To Us program.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Scratches are not cover under warranty.

Also, iPhones only have a one year warranty so for most 5's the warranty has or is about to pass, for the rest that might still have some months or w/ applecare+ you can be sure they will have more than enough to supply for refurbs. Sorry to break your dream.

11. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

Its not my dream since i dont care i was just confused with the discontinuing stuff and shortage of parts and housings.

12. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Got my 5 replaced with another 5 this weekend. Interesting note - the guy said within the first year of a new model he understood that they replace with a brand new one. The one I got certainly looks brand new. The edging even looks better than my original. But yes, they should have 5's for a long time to come.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, refurb'ed iDevices come with brand new batteries and brand new exterior shells. Same protective plastic wrapping, too.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was able to get a refurbished iPhone (1st gen) a month or so ago. Cost me $100... so I think you'll be fine.

15. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

So essentially it doesn't matter if it's new or a refurb then I guess. But is there any way to tell for sure? I'd imagine not.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

serial#

17. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

HAAAA.... Dream on mate :eek: Haha!

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple has enough stock of replacement devices.

Apple only stopped offering replacements for the original iPhone earlier this year. The iPhone 5 is way down the list of things to become unsupported - and as pointed out, it'll get to the stage where you don't have a warranty and where an out of warranty repair is just not worth the money.

It's common sense really. If 100 people take in a broken iPhone 5, then that's 100 replacements that they can remanufacture and send out for the future.

In the past, Apple has been known to offer an "upgrade" as a warranty replacement when stock runs low - either a newer model or higher capacity device.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I laugh every time these threads pop up. Seriously? HA.

20. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

A friend of mine took his iPad 2 in to have the screen replaced in August. They charged him for a new screen and whipped out ... another iPad 2. If you want a 5s you will have to pay for it.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Every release someone (lots of someones) come along thinking if they have a "problem" with last year's phone then they'll magically get this year's. The fact is, unless that phone has been discontinued and you're a good 6 months out from the release date, you can only hope for a refurb. They're going to have quite a few 5's to hand out for warranty replacements for quite some time.

Take a 5 in today you get a 5 back, if you have an issue they cannot resolve on your current phone.

22. legioxi macrumors 6502a

They will probably have refurbs until the iPhone 7 and beyond.

23. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

24. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Don't forget Apple now has a trade-in program and will soon be getting millions of iPhone 5 trade-ins... so they're going to have a lot of iPhone 5's laying around if you need one :)