What hardware is failing on my 24" Early 2008?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Big Dave, May 21, 2012.

1. Big Dave macrumors 6502

At least once a day my 24" Early 2008 iMac crashes to a white screen. I have to hold the power button down to reboot. I am running up to date Lion. I am usually listening to iTunes or have music playing in Quicktime.

Is this a hardware or software problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you still see the mouse cursor? Does it still move? What video card does your iMac have? About when did this start happening? When it is in its white crashed state, can you still access it via the network with over file sharing or SSH? Does it kernel panic at all?

3. Big Dave, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

1. I do not see the mouse cursor. Totally white screen.
    2. ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
    3. Once or twice over the years but every day over the last week.
    4. Haven't tried SSH, will do on next crash.
    5. Is there a log I can check for a kernel panic?

When I reboot, it takes a long time and all windows that were open before the crash open on reboot.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The reason why I asked you all of those questions is that I was checking if you might have the iMac ATI 2400/2600 GPU crash bug. This crash bug mostly affects mid-2007 20" iMacs. I do not believe you have it.

There wouldn't be a proper kernel panic. If you open the Console app and go to the kernel.log, look for the lines
    Code:
    kernel[0]: ** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **
    and
    Code:
    kernel[0]: ** GPU Debug Info Start **
    followed by lots of gibberish. If you have these lines, they sometimes appear after a freeze, then you have the crash bug. If not, something else is causing your problem.

5. Big Dave, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the first one but not the second.
    Code:
    May 10 22:43:22 localhost kernel[0]: ** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **
    Right now I am going through the repair disk permissions on my internal and external drives.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Device in slot: SLOT--1 is normal and appears at startup. If the second one appears directly after that, then you have the crash bug. But because it doesn't, it is likely that you do not.

7. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I am hoping for a new iMac when the refresh happens. I wanted to sell this one, but I don't know if I could do it in good conscience if it is crashing.

8. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

I had another crash last evening. This time the screen didn't go white but rather it became frozen. Showed my desktop normally but I could not interact with it. No mouse nor keyboard response. I tried SSH but failed. It wouldn't even return a ping.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Then it definitely isn't the GPU crash bug. Could be a failing hard drive, but unlikely. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. Did you fully reinstall Mac OS X?

10. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't done a reinstall. This system is actually original Leopnard with upgrade installs through SL and Lion.

It may be time for a fresh install.

I might make a weekend project with that.

If it is a failing HD, then I am going to wait out the refresh to see if I want to spend a couple of hundred on an SSD or a couple thousand on a new iMac.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Just for clarity.. this is actually the 2007 model. You probably bought it right before the 2008 refresh (like I did :p).

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The early 2008 24" iMac came with the ATI 2600 as the standard card with the Nvidia GeForce 8800 being the optional upgrade.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Hmm. Didn't know that. In my mind I always just associate the 2008's with the Nvidia driver problems. Thanks.

14. Gloops macrumors member

Have you tried running Apple hardware test?

You could download SMART Utility to see if there's any HDD problems. Disk Utility isn't too good at indicating a failing HD.

15. Big Dave thread starter macrumors 6502

Under system profile it lists it as Early 2008.

----------

I have not. I will try to check that out.