What has a better color gamut 15" Glossy or 15" Anti - Glare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Titanium81, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Anyone know which has a better color gamut, The 15" Glossy or 15" Anti - Glare?

Any Difference?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if ur tlaking about the high res display option for both, they are both the same HOVEVER the colors ont he glossy do slightly pop out more.

is more "color " what u want"

4. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Yes, I forgot to mention I was comparing the two "High-Resolution" displays.

And yes "color" is definitely what I want.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

color looks nicer on glossy but u will get a bit of glare

6. klinic macrumors member

What do you want the screen for? For watching movies and getting a saturated 'poppy' picture, you want the glossy. The Anti-Glare has far better colour consistency and accuracy though, just because of the Anti-Glare *technically* they're the same, but the Glossy just makes the colours more exaggerated and more 'poppy.'

7. Contiguous macrumors member

This bugs me whenever it pops up in glossy/antiglare discussions: "The antiglare is more accurate." Accurate for what? CMYK printing? Photo developing? Video editing? Offset? As a graphics professional, I don't trust anything on my screen anyways (although calibration does help), in my case US Web Coated SWOP v2 and the Pantone Color Bridge rule supreme. If you're really striving for 'accuracy' in colour, you'd have a top end calibrated CRT or a IPS monitor. Until they invent CMYK screens, 'color accuracy' is a moot point when discussing glossy vs antiglare on a midrange laptop screen. //rant.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

yeah man the "what u see on the screen is what u print" on anti glare is complete bull.

how do i know?

i have one and tried it myself :p

9. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have 1 to and you obviously do not understand the process of calibration, otherwise you would not be making such ridiculous generalisations.

What I see on Anti Glare display is exactly what I see when I print.

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Sorry to go offtopic here, but I'm assuming you have an anti-glare MBP? Would you mind sharing your calibrated color profile (and your display model number)?

11. Contiguous, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Contiguous macrumors member

Nope, I actually have a glossy MBP for home/freelance work, and two cheapo Dell antiglares for work. I don't have a calibrated display currently but have worked with people who do, and they still rely on profiles and Color Bridge. Like I said, I don't trust my monitor and I use profiles (and proofs) for accuracy. I work in prepress and commercial digital printing however, so most of my colour matching involves Pantones and Color Bridge, and so my workflow is different from photographers'.

Eh, I see other people have said it better than me. OP: Get what you prefer; there is no right answer. Calibration is your friend; if your monitor appears to have a similar colour space to what you're printing, and you're happy, great. Who am I to tell you what works for you? Just don't expect too much from a TN laptop screen, is all.