What I got out of the DNC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by madfresh, Aug 27, 2008.

1. madfresh macrumors regular

After listening to some of the speakers at the DNC, here is what I got out of it. I have no idea what Obama stands for, but everyone there tells me we don't need more of the same.

That about sums it up. They could have had the DNC last for 10 minutes and everyone could have then gone home.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well... they do still have to actually NOMINATE the candidate. A minor detail to be sure, but necessary nonetheless.

3. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Pretty sure this doesn't warrant it's own thread, seeing as we have a perfectly good one about the DNC already.

Um - it's not over. Barack has yet to take the stage. Maybe you should try to watch him speak Thursday night, with an open mind?

Ah, who am I kidding?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well the "we don't need more of the same" alone arguement should convince you, but honestly, they have been mention things all night, I've only just watched it now(CNN streams it online, which I wish I knew)

But I'd highly suggest Kucinich's speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0smG7ptcM

Also right now, 9:02 on the east coast, they are talking about what Bill Clinton did, what democrats do, and how Obama's gonna keep that up.(and know Bill's coming on stage!)

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And any time you want to know what Obama stands for, you can go to his site.

Or maybe Obama should go door-to-door all over America, so no one would have to be inconvenienced. :rolleyes:

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually, you're right. There wasn't much there in terms of substance. A whole lot of bun and very little burger.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well if you watched tonight, then you're good, you'll know what the democrats are doing.

Watch Biden
    Watch Bill Clinton

You'll know where Obama is aiming.

8. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Watching the DNC has made me proud to be an American again.... It's been awhile.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Finally, Obama/Biden know where America needs to go, and its about time the democrats finally got to it!

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Tonight simply kicked ass. Great speech by President Clinton, John Kerry, our next VP Joe Biden and a cameo by the man himself. This was such a great night.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually you're right. After seeing Joe Biden speak, I'm changing my tune. He totally nailed it. When he laid out why Obama was right and McCain was wrong he was exactly right.

Although it looked as if Biden's wife wanted to get off stage super quick. Bad stage fright or something. You could even hear Biden ask her if she was okay.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well you know what McCain stands for. Just think the oposite and thats what Obama stands for.

13. madfresh thread starter macrumors regular

I loved the governor of Arizona talking about the politicians who ran for president. Goldwater and two others. Then she goes on to say that they all lost and she wants that Arizona tradition to continue....first thing I thought of was she is happy that Arizonans are losers....:p

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

All I have learned from the DNC:

Obama manipulated the casting process to make himself look better

Bill Clinton thinks people enjoyed his hour long speech in 1988

Nancy Pelosi had another botox treatment

Bush is the devil (according to the Democrats)

Biden has a few sob stories

Democrats like to cry when their leaders speak

Change is good (according Democrats)

And finally, Biden smiles like a horse.

Don

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Not the devil, just easily the worst president in modern history. Unfortunately for most Americans, the proof's in the pudding.

Your signature is quite apt.

Yep, I was smiling like a goon the entire night.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Polls are very close, I think that you maybe in store for a surprise. Also, I find it extremely annoying when people talk about Obama as if he is the second coming of Jesus Christ or something.

Don

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Interesting, can you quote someone talking about him in that way?

18. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Happy?

Don

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not. Typically, and I can't speak for yg17, but the phrase "the man himself" is a rhetorical flourish.

As in "tonight, we have the man himself...." which is always followed by a specific person. I've heard this used during corporate introductory speeches as well as concerts.
    You're reaching.

Of course, it's become very fashionable of late to give Obama some kind of messianic quality. This is done both to make him seem less real and his supporters appear slightly unhinged. Often followed by remarks about "kool-aid."
    The same tactic is used against Mac users, who are often accused of similar religious feelings towards Steve Jobs. Remember the iPhone was the "Jesus Phone."
    Read any article about Mac users and it will be peppered with such language. That the GOP is trying to same method with Obama is unsurprising.

There was even a single-serving website "www.whenobamaispresident.com" which gave funny answers to the idea. I think my favorite was "We all get ice cream sandwiches."

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Steve Jobs is God, and the iPhone is Jesus! *looks to shrine saying "if I can't have you then nobody can!*

Don

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Haha. Meet me in Death Valley and we'll see how funny that is. ;) :p

But, truly, Arizonan politicians have a major fail rate when it comes to presidential elections. But, Janet Napolitano has been the best governor in decades.

We should not forget Fife Symington, a good friend of John McCain, who was indicted and convicted for bank fraud in 1997. He was also involved in the famous Savings and Loan debacle.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Shhh. We can't let the infidels hear such talk. Otherwise, they will know about our secret plan.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Thank you for reminding me.

Don

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't believe in Jesus, therefore, I cannot believe someone is the second coming of him. Get over it.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This reminds me of that AP story about Obama's speech that seemed like it was written by the GOP. The AP being run by someone who almost worked for McCain, and the myth of the liberal media being noted before (they mostly seem to care about controversy, not partisanship, as noted in a Time article I had posted that I can't seem to find right now) aside, it seemed like it was written by someone who hadn't even read the speech. Lots of strawman arguments, and completely ignoring that he actually did lay out some specifics. As did others, especially Biden, as noted above.

So now that it's a few days later, do you still feel the same way? Do you think McCain is short on substance as well? Because from everything I've been reading, Obama has actually laid out some specifics, while McCain really hasn't.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that even Pat Buchanan like the speech. More than I did actually. I preferred Michele's myself. But Obama's was good, and what I appreciated most was actually the specifics he did lay out, and the toning down of the empty rhetoric.