What I hate about Religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jan 17, 2015.

1. lostngone, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

As soon as a light is cast on any shameful conduct of any member they are immediately disavowed.

I see it time and time again, whether it is a child molesting priest or a muslim extremist the other people of that faith come out and claim this person wasn't a true or real member of their faith because of the actions they took.

2. APlotdevice, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's a very popular logical fallacy to be sure. In fact there's a term for it: No true Scotsman.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I see the same behavior for plenty of things other than religion:
    • No true liberal would...
    • No true conservative would...
    • No truly responsible gun owner would...
    So the title of the thread should be "What I hate about human nature, including myself".

4. XmeX macrumors regular

What I hate about Religion

That's because the tone of conflicts in the same religion

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I usually counter that statement with .........

Priests are supposedly chosen(indirectly) by God. So your perfect God makes mistakes. ;)

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Don't forget the "yes, but" apologists of other faiths. Howard Dean says Muslim terrorists like ISIS and Al Qaeda are not Muslim. :rolleyes:

7. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I will tackle your gun statement, responsible or not, legal or not. After some event you don't see people denying the fact that the person used a firearm...

However you DO see that with organized religions.

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Right. I'm sick of people putting pressure on others to apologize on behalf of other in their religion/political party/whatever. Everyone is their own person and isn't responsible for others actions.

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

With respect to religion; I usually try to determine if someone is actually following their religion before I get too worked up about members of said religion attempting to disavow him/her.

Plenty of religious people have no problem engaging in behavior that is very much in opposition to the values and rules of the religion they belong to.

The same goes for people in any group, religious or not.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I seriously doubt anyone alive today is following these ancient religions exactly as they are described in their holy texts.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

This thread is not about religion, but about the behaviour of individuals in organized religions.
    People are people, they do not change just because they say that follow this or that religion.

12. lostngone, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Again, I will say it is easy for a faith to keep its hands clean when they chop off said hand at the first sign of taint.

I do not disagree with your statement in theory except when in comes to the organized part. In some cases you have organizations/churches/faiths worth hundreds of millions of dollars getting a pass because they follow gods word.

It would be like the LAPD claiming they are not legally responsible for the actions of police officers because these miss guided employees did not follow the word of police handbook when they shot someone in cold blood.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This. People should stop blaming religion and blame human nature. We're just like chimpanzees fighting for territory. Religion is just another player in the game.

I'm saying this as an atheist.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First of all much of this is in the eye of the beholder. Some people religious or not, think it's a-ok to kill, while others regard it as heinous. These feelings are moderated if there is a perceived threat to ones culture or religion. Personally what I can't abide by is killing in the name of God, inexcusable, as if God is up there cheering for death in his name, as if he tasked us human beings to kill each other for non-compliance. Sick and demented, which the human vision of God seems to be frequently.

15. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Oh, you are 100% right why didn't I see it before! Organized Religion/Churches/Faiths should NEVER be held accountable when a member does something wrong.

Who is up for another round of hide the pedophile priest?

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

They don't away drop them like a hot potato they may actually deny it or think the person is redeemed because they asked for forgiveness. I have seen mega church preachers who's congregation will forgive them for cheating or even sex with a child or embezzlement. or let a child molester be a your leader Blame the girl and send her off and forgive the man. or beat their children or cheat or whatever.

17. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Oh right, because all Christians hid the pedophiles and religion told him to become a pedophile. :rolleyes:

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Church leaders hid them. Well, they just moved them to another church.

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'm aware of that so blame them, not the entirety of religion.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So, can you separate church from religion? The Church, Mosques, Temples, and etc, seem to control and/or set the standards of how to practice religion. How can you blame the church without blaming the religion, and vice versa?

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That was the Roman Catholics which had that issue. The issue lies when people do not evaluate the truth for themselves. Christians are to follow the Bible, God's Holy Word. Do not blame all Christians for the actions of priests functioning under distorted viewpoints. The same goes for Muslim extremists. It is not the religion being used as an excuse but rather people acting outside what their religion teaches.

22. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I was being sarcastic

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, but gun owners, self-styled conservatives and those who describe themselves as liberals rarely cite divine authority as reason and justification for their actions, however atrocious.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Religion is merely a tool. It's the religious we need to worry about.