What I want out of the iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CMan0928, Sep 8, 2014.

1. CMan0928 macrumors member

I know some of you won't receive this thread the way it's intended to be received, but I'll move forward with it regardless. In order for me to preorder the new iPhone (4.7") tomorrow or before launch I need some things to be revealed at the keynote tomorrow. I'm currently with Verizon and I'm due for my upgrade. Agreeing to a new two year contract worth thousands of dollars in the long run isn't something that should be taken lightly.

So I spent a couple days recently researching the two big competitors to the iPhone 6. Mind you, I'm leaving Samsung out because I think the S5 is ugly. The two Android phones I would consider are the LG G3 and the HTC One M8. I'm leaning towards the LG if the iPhone 6 fails to impress tomorrow.

I won't get into the iOS versus Android debate because it leads to nothing but arguments. But I can say I've owned both iPhones (4S/5) and a Galaxy S3. Both operating systems have their peaks and valleys. I'll leave it at that. I do, however, find that the build quality of the iPhone is better than 95% of it's Android counterparts.
    I want to stick with Apple, but for me to do so here's what I need:

- A smarter, more intuitive and forward thinking iOS 8

- A better camera with improved flash

- Sapphire screen (Not a fan of screen protectors, also not a fan of scratches on my screen)

- Wireless Charging (Probably the feature I want most on the next iPhone)

-Better battery life (No real complaints about the battery life of my 5, but improvements can, and should, be made whenever possible)

- NFC (I want to link my debit card to my phone for fast payments)

- An aluminum back that doesn't scratch up so easily when using the phone without a case (The iPhone 5 is gorgeous and looks/feels best when used without a case. However the super easily scratched anodizing on the back of the phone makes it almost necessary to use a case if you want to keep the phone presentable)

So, that's my wishlist. I need to see probably 80% of those things talked about tomorrow for me to stick with Apple. If not, there's too many other great options out there to check out. Anybody else in the same boat? If so, what do you need to see to make the jump to the iPhone 6? Or are you buying it regardless of what Mr. Cook has in store for us at the keynote?

2. Mac Wolf macrumors member

Better battery life and better camera are the big sticking points for me. As far as screen, if it's just larger, but not sharper/more vibrant than the previous models, I'm gonna be pretty annoyed.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why are people always in such a hurry, where do you have to go in such a rush that you can't spend 10 seconds to swipe your card and input your pin code?

4. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

That's not the point. If Apple wants to keep up NFC is a must in my opinion. And yes, I'm in a hurry. I have stuff to do.

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I would say the iPhone has done pretty well without NFC thus far.

6. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

Says who?

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Say's sale records from the iPhone family.

8. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

You're missing the point. Sales numbers don't mean anything.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They mean a lot, actually.

10. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

What do sale numbers do for you day to day when using your device?

11. Myrdin76 macrumors newbie

I think you're going to get most of those things except wireless charging. What do you need that so bad for anyway?

12. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

I can't just like something and hope that it's included in the new phone?

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I think our debit and credit cards are at risk of being exploited far too much as it is with a physical card so I certainly won't be putting my personal banking data onto my phone even if the option is there.

I get the impression you have joined here this month just in time for the launch to list your demands and if the iPhone fails on one point, you'll have the ammo to do the iPhone down. That is up to you of course, but its not going to stop millions of people world wide from buying the device and contributing to its success.

14. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

My debit card has touch payment so having NFC on my phone is no biggy and I've still never used it to this date.

Here in the UK NFC hasn't really taken off yet, even though Androids smartphones have been offering it for years, which now could change now the iPhone 6 has suppose NFC.

Wireless charging is something for the future on Apple devices, you won't see it on the iPhone 6.

Weather sealing would be a much better option for us in the UK as it always raining lol, more so it now creeping upto Winter again.

Improvements to the camera always come with every release of a new iPhone, this time would like to see real time HDR, faster glass ie F1.8 or F2.0, OIS, better sensor with bigger pixel's, and a native 16:9.

For video 1080p 60fps & 24fps movie mode, HDR video, stereo recording, plus the option to use continuous auto focus rather than just manual.

15. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

You're right. Add waterproof to my list as well. Good call.

16. Myrdin76 macrumors newbie

Of course you can like something but why would it be such a deal breaker if it hasn't got wireless charging?

17. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

I said 80% of my list had to come to fruition. Wireless charging would be cool and would also free me of the lightning cable I lose every other day because I have to take it to work and charge my phone during the day. I have a spare but I don't know where it is.

18. Hazyb71 macrumors member

Good list, here is my input.

This happens with every new iOS. I guess what matters is what is more intuitive and forward thinking for you.

Better camera for sure. Not sure if them refining the flash gives better performance or the same as the 5S, though.

This is rumored and possible. Might be on certain models only (like the 5.5).

This won't happen on the iPhone. iWatch will have it though ;).

This will happen. I imagine the A8 and bigger battery will improve the usage time. 5.5 will see bigger improvements if I had to guess.

This will happen, and it will be implemented in a far more secure way than in Android phones.

This issue was fixed with the release of the 5S. I'm assuming you had the black iPhone 5 like me. Since they switched to space grey the problem has been fixed.

19. CMan0928 thread starter macrumors member

That's good to know. And yes, black iPhone 5 here.