What if...Drop the fitness sensors and make it thinner?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 2macORnot2mac, Mar 24, 2015.

1. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

What if they did away with the fitness stuff to make it half the thickness and twice the battery life. Now that would be a sweet watch.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Next-gen possibilities! I doubt they would get rid of the fitness stuff, unless they made a fitness specific watch

3. technosix macrumors 6502a

I believe your idea is very smart and would be a big help to Apple with its desire to penetrate the world of fashion.

Offer the current line for fitness and reap big rewards. Fitness is popular to talk about, but trust me... If everyone came to my gym that say they want to, we'd need a vastly larger parking lot.

Growing up in a very athletic fitness first family, the gym is a deeply ingrained daily routine. Only around the end of the holidays do we see a flood of newbies
    Only to disappear within a few weeks at most.

Serious fitness enthusiasts like myself don't need Apple Watch, we already have state of the art monitoring equipment that links to our computers.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I wouldn't buy one if they did that. That's a huge step backwards.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

6. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Same here. Now if they got rid of all the notifications and such and made a purely fitness device I would buy it in a heartbeat.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I have no interest in the fitness stuff so if they could streamline the design by removing it I would be all for it. It would most likely make for a better watch.

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

I agree, the current Apple Watch is fat, ugly, and plain.

Yet it doesn't matter, the Apple Logo sells it.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

How could they improve battery life if you make the thing thinner? Removing the fitness stuff would only seriously improve battery life if they filled those gaps with more battery.

And Apple wouldn't do this, because they are designing the OS around the fitness sensors. It uses them to detect if the user is wearing the watch, if the sensors detect that the watch is no longer against the skin, the watch locks, stops getting notifications, and requires that the paired phone be unlocked to make use of Apple Pay next time it is on a wrist.

10. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Serious fitness enthusiasts don't need any monitoring equipment, because they know that it's largely useless, and mainly for motivational purposes. Please do tell what 'state of the art monitoring equipment that links to our computers' is, though?

P.S. Apple is trying to penetrate the world of 'our smartwatch doesn't look like garbage' and they're riding fashion as a conduit to show it. They don't need to try very hard though, because every other smartwatch looks god awful.

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Oh, I get it. You are one of these who believes the great myth :rolleyes:

For your info, Apple wath does not have any Apple logo that can clearly be visible on the wrist.

And it doesn't matter about thickness. If it was thinner, people like you would still moan that Apple is obsessed with thinness and they should have made it a bit thicker to allow more for battery :rolleyes:

12. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I agree. I will use the tracking stuff to motivate myself to get a bit more exercise. The SS with Link will be a nice watch to wear and I plan to pick a face that matches.

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

So you need state of the art monitoring equipment to be serious about fitness? Sorry but that is rubbish.

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I too wouldn't be as interested. The fitness stuff is part of why I want the watch, along with the other things it does.

15. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

If this takes off as a product line, I could imagine the possibility of an Apple Watch Air - very thin, limited capability watch with just basic notifications etc....

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I might still buy it. It would probably depend on pricing then though. I also probably would reconsider the materials decision (Like I doubt I would invest in stainless steel for a pure fitness device).

A better watch for who? You're not the only customer. That's like me saying it would make for a better iPad if they removed the camera because I personally don't use it.

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

Your assumption is hilarious.

The point is the people I see... besides my friends, at the gym everyday, year after year ...training for various events like marathons, triathlons etc are _already_ using equipment as a regular part of their routine. Therefore we have zero use for a fitness oriented smartwatch.

It's as simple as that :)

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What fitness "stuff"?

The only thing of any size consequence is the heartbeat sensor in the back. I don't think removing it will do what OP suggests.

19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I'm at the gym every day and don't have any monitoring equipment.

20. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Dropping the fitness sensors isn't going to yield a thinner Apple Watch, just one with a bigger battery.

Fitness is one of the core pillars of the product. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

21. FlatCable macrumors member

Care to explain how a 10.5mm watch is fat?

It's already slimmer than most analog watches sold.

It's on the average of smartwatches already.

Fine, it has an Apple logo, so people like you hate it already.

22. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Same here.

There are some people who track every exercise they do on these graph-paper workout logs. 3reps75lbs, 3reps110lbs, etc. along with calorie trackers or weight-watcher log books. Those types of people like to see their progress and to look back on it in a year, and it makes them feel good that their workouts are working. I did that one time when I lost weight.

Others just exercise and know what results they want and know they are progressing by looking at the mirror or scale, and don't need to be constantly fed stats. That's me now.

23. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

This

24. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

It's not just fitness, but also health that is being tracked. Having had a heart attack and subsequent ongoing heart problems I won't be visiting the gym any time soon, but I'm very interested in how the heartbeat sensor may develop over time. I'm sure with this first version it will be pretty crude, but I could foresee a time when it could do things such as detect abnormal rhythms, summon help via the phone, collect data for your doctor and many more useful things. It's most certainly a part of why I want one.

25. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Nah. The iPhone 5c didn't sell all that well even though it had an Apple logo. Find another way to assume all people like about Apple is the logo.