What if Everyone Who Voted for Hillary Boycott Exxon?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac 128, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

What would happen if in protest of Trump and his pick of Rex Tillerson, the almost 66 million Americans who voted for Hillary, boycott Exxon for the next 4-8 years? Would that have any impact on Exxon at all?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I hope the Trump angst tones down a bit after the 20th

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

66 million people aren't going to boycott America's largest oil company.

I use Shell anyway.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

More than half the U.S. would have a hard time driving a car or taking a bus?

6. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Hillary supporters don't have cars, they live in mommies basement and ride bikes.:D

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hilary's states make up 70% of US GDP...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    Exxon would be damaged for sure as it would sell a whole lot less petrol.

8. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Proof that there are Republicans in those states too.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think this whole "Boycott" so and so for supporting so and so is silly. You're not going to be punishing the person only. Think about it, you'll be shutting down stores, putting common folks who may have voted for your so and so out of work, and that's ridiculous.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

You know I kinda love this part of the conversation. It likens me back to those that said if you remove NYC and California from the election results, Trump blew the popular vote away, etc.

Statistically speaking - if you remove Democrats from the financial equation in this country - I am fairly confident that the GDP tanks, there's no money for any government spending and those roads/infrastructure outside of these two areas will go completely to crap. It would be a neat experiment wouldn't it? How do you think this country would do if we told people on those two areas that there vote didn't matter because they aren't the rest of America.

Try and remember - if nothing else - Republicans voted for other people besides Trump. I know many Republicans (anecdotal for sure) who didn't vote for him and do not support him. Many are also quite disgusted with their own party right now. I know Dems that feel the same way about their own party.

Whether there are Republicans or not in the state matters little to the OP's point.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Petroleum doesn't come with a UPC. You might as well boycott Russian air.

12. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Anecdotally I don't know who my Democrat friends voted for but none of them professed Hillary support. I had to go to TV and PRSI for Hillary supporter anecdotes.

13. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Boycott Exxon, and watch as one of the most profitable corporations stock tanks, then Trump supporters can boycott Apple, and their stock will tank.

However, no one, but no one, is going to boycott Goldman, because Goldman always wins.:rolleyes:

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

and trump supporters live in bunkers with their food and guns.

15. TPadden macrumors 6502a

... you forgot bags of money :cool:.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Most fueling stations make the majority of their money on the junk food, beer and cigarettes not gas.

17. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Hell, it's a one stop shop for everything that is killing us.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Boycotting Exxon would do nothing to Tillerson... he stepped down as CEO and just took early retirement.
    $180 Million in cash instead of shares to avoid conflicts.
    He will liquidate any remaining stock (approx. 600k shares) if confirmed by the Senate.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Cancer from the gas fumes, cancer from the cigs, cirrhosis of the liver from the booze, diabetes from the junk food. We all gotta die some day.

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Why? The Obama angst never did. And Obama never went on twitter each night to poke fun at all the people who didn't vote for him.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

That would be pretty much impossible to do, because Exxon doesn't only sell gasoline at their own gas stations. They supply oil to power pretty much every industry imaginable. The best you could, which also would be logistically impossible, is to boycott Exxon-branded gas stations, which aren't even their biggest source of income by a long shot.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I've boycotted Exxon gas stations for decades. So just more of the same for me! And as alex2792 outlined, about the best that a private citizen can do.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Back in the day (after their spill) there were a lot of t-shirts and other things that said "We're Exxon. We don't have to care." In other words - they know how integrated their products is into everyone's life.

I think it could be a PR nightmare and a hit for stockholders who panic. But I don't think anything catastrophic will happen.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I boycott all gas stations except Ralph's and Costco due to price gouging :D

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they all quit using oil and go off the grid in favor of clean energy it should be better for the environment than if Trump leaves in all of Obama's environmental regulations.