Carrier What if I buy an iPhone 6 on apple.com using the upgrade of another number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aluminum213, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

If I then take that iPhone 6 to an apple store will they be able to put my number on it? The number in question is on my family share plan with Verizon

2. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

3. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Why would you need to take it to an Apple store? Can't you just pop your sim in and call it a day?

4. akhilleus macrumors member

As far as my experiences go, I've never had a problem doing something like this. I don't have Verizon, but companies don't care which number is going to use the phone because it's all as simple as switching SIMs anyway. They just want everyone to keep updating their phones so they get paid, sell products, etc. You'll be fine.

5. thiswho macrumors member

for the iPhone 5 pre order I was able to use the upgrade from another line, So I can't imagine it being any different this time around.

6. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

But wouldn't the iPhone 6 come pre loaded with a SIM card from the other number?

Do I need the other persons phone?

7. techishi macrumors member

There's one thing that I would be aware of: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/MyVerizon/upgrade-device.html

Looking at the last FAQ:
    Basically if you upgrade a dumb phone line on a legacy plan, that line is required to have at least a $30 data plan for 2 years, totaling $720. Even if you end up moving the phone to your intended smart phone line. This policy change just occurred a few weeks ago and caught me off guard.

8. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Just take your current SIM card out and place it in the new phone and you're good to go. That's what I did with going from my 5 to 5S. Easy.

9. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

It's not as simple as swapping in your SIM. You have to bring in the phone to your carrier store and explain to them what you're trying to do. When I bought my 5 I used my dad's upgrade and brought in my phone and they had to make a new SIM for me and my dad.

10. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

You can simply call Verizon and switch numbres between devices,, no? I have a friend who uses his wife's upgrade; he upgrades her phone, then switches numbers.

11. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I think you have to get a new SIM card. Unfortunately for me I have the galaxy s4 so that SIM card will not work in the iphone.

Also I clicked on the FAQ link and did not see anywhere that said the basic line would have to keep the data plan.

12. Deguello macrumors 6502

If you upgrade on another number that isn't eligible for an upgrade subsidy or Next, will Apple sell you the phone at full price -- even though that isn't an option offered initially -- and would the phone therefore be unlocked?

13. techishi macrumors member

Yes it would be full price. Also, all Verizon phones are unlocked.

14. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

It is as simple as swapping your sim.

15. Deguello macrumors 6502

Well, I'm on AT&T and would rather not deal with getting and canceling Verizon service just to get a phone that's marginally more valuable when the time comes to sell it.

I just want an unlocked phone so I can travel with it. Worst case, I guess I could keep my 5 for travel.

16. techishi macrumors member

Sorry, misread your original post. If you're on AT&T, I believe you can just buy the GSM unlocked version at full retail.

17. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Oh crap, this will mess up my whole plan then. Do you have a link to this?

18. techishi macrumors member

19. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I switch the upgrades on the family plan all time with now adverse affects.

you can move the upgrade to/from any number in your family plan before the pre-orders start on Friday.

20. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

21. PaythePiper macrumors member

Moving the upgrade would only work if you are ordering from Verizon. When the 5s came out, I tried moving the upgrade on verizon.com, then going to apple to order the phone- no dice.

22. techishi macrumors member

Right, well there's two options.

1) Purchase through Apple on the line that has the upgrade, then you can move the device to the appropriate line once you get the device ( You can do this through My Verizon, over the phone, or at a retail store ).

2) Purchase through Verizon using the transfer upgrade feature, with no need to do any swapping after you received the phone.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why would you go to an Apple store vs Verizon?

Which one do you think understands your billing plan better and can see your account better and can insure your phone is working on Verizon better?

24. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Because the phone was bought on apple.com