What if I get AT&T ipad and want to switch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dloreski, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Ok, I've been trying to decide if I should go with ipad and AT&T or with VZW & myfi. I have phone accounts with both.
    So if I should buy a 3G ipad on AT&T and want to switch to VZW, what will they charge me?
    I guess I have to buy the myfi, but if I buy just that, do I get their month to month ipad plans or would I be on a 2 year contract?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you are wanting to do, your only option will be to get the MiFi. AT&T is the only carrier in the US that operates on the correct frequencies for the iPad. Thus...

...you will be charged whatever it costs to get the Mifi unit and the plan ($60/month for 5 GB, or something- with a discount if you buy the iPad at the same time).

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Op if you are asking if AT&T will give you a termination fee the answer is no.

4. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

What I'm really trying to figure out is this.......
    When I read the VZW FAQ, it states the ipad data plans are $20, $35, and $50.
    The $20 plan would work perfect for me.
    Is that plan only available if I buy the ipad & myfi together in their bundle?
    - Dave

5. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Just buy your ipad where ever (like right from Apple or WalMart or Best Buy) and then get your data plan after the fact... That way you can pick and choose at your leisure.

I have the 3G iPad, but rather than pay YET ANOTHER data plan (already had a 3G dongle for the Macbook, and an iPhone data plan), I picked up a Sprint Overdrive (similar to the MiFy but works on the Clear 4G WiMax network as well) and dropped the 3G Dongle and lowered my iPhone data plan to the minimum.

So for what I was paying for the laptop and the iPhone, I now have all 3, and on a faster network... but I always have the option to use the AT&T network for the iPad if I need it, and I still get some data on the iPhone (plenty for email and light web surfing.)

6. ScrappyDoo80 macrumors member

I wanted to get an iPad right away and get an unlimited Data plan but didn;t have the funds at the time, I will no longer even consider a 3G (or VZW certainly not) data plan and pay for their "buckets" of Data.. useless.

My main use of internet on the iPhone and would be for iPad is to stream videos, a bucket of their 25 dollar data is more useless and less appealing than a bucket of extra crispy and a couple of grape sodas.