What if I want a "Family Plan" with only 1 iPhone and 1 standard phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slate1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. slate1 macrumors regular

Am I still going to pay $149???

If so, forget it! That's ridiculous - I'd be better staying with Alltel...

Surely this is not the case... I presume I can do the data, etc on just the iPhone.

I was counting on the 1400 minute family plan ($89.99) plus the $30 data plan for the iPhone for a total of $119.99

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You would pay 89.99 + 30 for the iPhone. AT&T's Family Plans assume you are buying two iPhones. (Much like the first iPhone's Family Plan)

3. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

So, you assume the $149 quoted here:

AT&T iPhone Rate Plans

is for two iPhones?

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I know it is. How? Cause I have two iPhones on the original iPhone family plan. If I got rid of one of the iPhones my rate would drop (due to data being taken off).

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not assuming it.

I'm reading it. The little text on that page that says "includes 2 lines" was my first hint.

6. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I thought the same thing too but it comes out to about the same

7. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

As I understand it you would pay for the family plan and one line would add data. The other line wouldn't have a data plan unless you purchase another pda/smarphone or iphone.

8. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah - but show me on that page where it says "includes 2 iPhone lines" - that's where the confusion for me comes in. I'm going to assume that's what it is and if I only have one iPhone then it is indeed $30 cheaper.

One thing it seems with regards to AT&T, however, is never assume anything.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

We don't have to show you. Sign up for a normal AT&T family plan. Now upgrade one line to the iPhone. Now you'll see that the one on that page has to include two iPhone lines.

If it only included one iPhone, don't you think people will just sign up for a normal family plan then upgrade the line? AT&T isn't stupid.

10. w00tme macrumors member

Just do the math man.
    149.99 = 80 (1400 mins + 1 line) + 9.99 (2nd line) + 30 (iphone data) + 30 (iphone data)

If you only want 1 iPhone on the plan:
    80 (1400 mins + 1 line) + 9.99 (2nd line) + 30 (iphone data) = 119.99

11. And5555 macrumors member

While not directly from AT&T, every single article today discusses the family plan including two iPhone lines at $129.99. Search google news for iPhone and found countless sources that quote "two iPhone lines", and unless journalistic integrity has shrunk to an all-time low, I would go with the validity of the some reputable sites - examples:

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/att-releases-iphone-sales-deta.html
    http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/t-announces-iphone-3g-data-pricing/2008-07-01

12. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The simple fact that all of today's info is post on the At&t site on the IPHONE INFORMATION PAGE should spell it out.

The prices shown on that page are for TWO iPhone 3G lines.

If you have 1 iPhone 3G and 1 regular phone, it will be exactly the same as if you had 1 WinMo phone and 1 regular phone, or 1 BlackBerry and 1 regular phone...

I will use my plan (1 normal phone and 1 BlackBerry) as the example.

2100 shared minutes- $100
    2nd line- $9.99
    Unlimited family text- $30
    BlackBerry Personal Plan- $30

Total = $169.99

If I swap the BlackBerry out for the iPhone 3G, NOTHING CHANGES. It will be the exact same cost.

Again, the Family Plan info on the "iPhone information" page is for TWO iPhone 3G lines.

Same 2100 minutes on 2 iPhone 3Gs...

2100 shared minutes- $100
    2nd line- $9.99
    Two iPhone 3G data plans- $60

Total = $169.99

Get it?

If you want to get an iPhone 3G and a normal phone on a two line Family Plan, all you have to do is add $30 to the cost.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That is easy to do.
    AT&T Press Release

Located under voice data and text messaging plans is:
    Bolding mine.

14. kcdude macrumors regular

I just need 1 iPhone, 1 regular phone, 550 shared minutes. In your example, you add $9.99 for a second line. Isn't the second phone included in the base shared minutes rate and you just pay $9.99 for a third phone?

Is this accurate: $60 (550 shared mins for line 1 and 2) + $30 (iphone data) = $90 + applicable taxes?

15. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

So can someone help me add up a family plan for my wife and I?
    We would like:

2 iPhones
    700 min family plan
    1 phone needs to have exchange support

also can we just pay $5 each for 200msg or do we have to get unlimited or nothing?

We pretty much have this deal now with Verizon but with a blackberry and an enV for about $160 after taxes.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

139 + taxes for each phone to have 200 sms

17. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

WOW!

There are some conceited and self righteous people on these boards... I guess the iPhone crowd is a bit different than the iMac crowd.

Sorry for being such a moron - :rolleyes:

Here's the thing - I shouldn't have to go to a freakin' press release to figure out that the "Family Plan" listed on the iPhone site is for two iPhones and that it will be $30 cheaper if I add a non-smartphone.

What AT&T should do is just say pick a plan, any plan, and add $30 for each iPhone data plan you want to add. Period.

I understand now that is what they are showing on the iPhone site - but it should be plain and clear... As a customer coming from a competitor I shouldn't have to dig through the entire AT&T website to figure out what it's going to cost in my scenario.

18. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The $9.99 is added to the minutes plan. For example, At&t advertises the 2100 shared minutes plan as $109.99 for the first two lines. On the bill, however, it is actually $100 for the minutes and $9.99 for the second line.

19. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

You should have enough common sense to understand that the information contained on a SPECIAL page on the At&t website DEDICATED to iPhone info would contain the pricing for 2 iPhone 3G devices as the Family Plan example.

Don't get angry with us because you lack common sense.

Your example of pick a plan and add $30 to it for each iPhone is exactly what it is by the way (well, $39.99, but that is because each extra line costs $9.99. That is an At&t thing for ALL phones though, not just the iPhone). Again, common sense should have told you that, and it isn't our fault that it didn't. I personally thought it was pretty obvious...

20. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

But what about the exchange support? We don't have to pay any extra for that? I don't really understand what this enterprise data plan is all about.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Sorry for being rude. It is sometime tiring repeatedly typing the same thing over again.

I too agree. The iPhone isn't special, so it should be in the smartphone list like all the others. I think it is stupid to keep it separate. At the very minimum it is generating confusion amongst people who are supposed to be techy/bright imagine how confused everyone else could be.

22. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

WOW!!! Is this what it takes to make you feel superior? I guess my PhD from Columbia hasn't blessed me with enough common sense to immediately INFER something not explicitly documented on a site meant to allow me to EASILY "pre-plan" my cost of ownership.

I do stand humbly corrected on one point, however, - I said conceited and I obviously meant jackass...

23. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

It's no problem and I appreciate your help. This is exactly my point, I deal with complex problem solving every day and was, at first, confused.

I get it now - but as I said before, it should be immediately obvious on the AT&T iPhone page and I shouldn't have to post a question in a forum or dig through the entire AT&T wireless plan site to figure it out.

24. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

What's with all the arguing?

If you want 1 iPhone and 1 standard phone, then get a regular family plan from AT&T ($89.99) then add the iPhone's data plan ($119.99).

That's how you can tell the "AT&T iPhone Rate Plans" page meant two iPhone 3G lines. Sure, they're kinda stupid for not saying "includes two iPhone 3G lines", but it doesn't take too long to see such.

25. kcdude macrumors regular

Got it....thanks. So my bill will be $50 (550 shared mins) + $9.99 phone #2 + $30 (iphone data) = $89.99 + applicable taxes.