Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So? Good pictures are about a lot more than megapixels. If they have a bigger sensor and better lens, 8MP vs 12MP won't really matter.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
...it would be the best 8mp camera on the market and take great pictures?

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
What if you did something productive with your life instead of posting stupid ********?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
high megapixels ≠*better photos.

I have a 10MP Canon DSLR and my mom has a 16MP Point-and-Shoot. My DSLR takes MUCH better photos despite the fact her P&S is 16MP.

Image sensors are much more important MP.

Becact

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Do you ever print photos larger than 8x10? If so you might need more than 8mp. That's assuming no crop. But 8mp is good for a 8x10 print at 300ppi.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I hope it does!!!

8 mp is the sweet spot anyways. Keep making the sensor bigger and keep the mp down.

Just another notch in the belt for apple not follow stupid spec trends for the spec sheet.

Increasing mp is for the android dolts who throw specs around like it matters.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Go read the article on the front page of DPreview discusses how more megapixels has nothing to do with quality. I shoot pro Canon cameras
and It would be safe to say the EOS 1D a $12000 dollar camera who's sensor
is 18mp blows away any camera phone sensor and most would agree any conventional digital camera as well. So according to your implied logic the
Nokia 1020 phone( 45 Mp) has a better sensor than the Canon pro camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=855962&is=REG&Q=&A=details

The reason Apple doesn't go around touting how much faster their A7 processor is compared to Samsung or any other phone, or the study that just showed
the touch screen response is 2x faster than any android tablet or phone, or how many megapixelsis, because they are focused on the end users overall experience. In other words look how amazing this picture is taken with the iPhone 5s. If you really want to know how far ahead Apple is go to the andantech site and read the review of the camera and a7 processor on the new iPhone 5s. So if Apple stays at 8Mp I will know the reason is because there were other much more significant changes to the camera such as increasing sensor size, improved algorithms etc, all thing that can drastically improve picture quality.
In fact in order to school you look at the Moto x. The image quality has been horrible. Just today they released a software update that results in the phone having one of the highest quality cameras of any cell phone. All that was changed was code. Just shows how important the software side of the camera is in contribution to camera quality in the digital world.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Do we still have people who think megapixel is the only stat on a camera? There's a reason why DSLRs are maybe 2x the number on megapixels compared to an iPhone yet take way better pictures. Shutter speed, aperture and more go into photo quality.

What the iPhone camera lacks is an option to select higher or lower quality pictures. My P&S has about four different selections so you're not forced to always use 12MP photos. That really helped my parents not need a third SD card on their trip to Europe earlier this year.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
do you want a 41MP camera?

I saw something earlier today comparing ip5s. The lumia. And the Xperia cameras. The lumia had the worst compared to the other two and I like the ip5s so much better. It looked more real. The lumia looked fake.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I saw something earlier today comparing ip5s. The lumia. And the Xperia cameras. The lumia had the worst compared to the other two and I like the ip5s so much better. It looked more real. The lumia looked fake.
just doesn't make sense to do that. I think they tried to hard. all the marketing is do or die by the camera.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
8MP with quality hardware is perfect for a cell phone.

I have a DSLR for when I need greater flexibility and larger finished image sizes. Stop trying to get Apple to give you a thousand dollar camera for $199. Selfies and shots of your lunch do not need to be professional-quality, yet the iPhone lets you get pretty damn close anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.