What if Jesus was gay?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, May 4, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I found this online

What if he was gay? What would be the implications? Could the church ever admit this?

Interesting idear.

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The church decides what belongs in the bible. If this material is at odds with their agenda, it is heresy, BS and probably the work of satan. Given that everything that has been written about jesus cannot be distinguished from what has been written about arthur pendragon or robin of locksley in terms of veracity, it matters little to unbelievers. Believers will not tolerate ill repute falling upon the son of god. Ultimately, this is of no consequence.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

And what if the "virgin" mary was a prostitute? :eek:

4. Bill McEnaney, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Have you guys noticed that Ruse links his article to a BBC article that never mentions homosexuality or what the Amplified Bible says about Luke 14:26 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 14:26&version=AMP)?

Does anyone else remember that in English, the word can stand for a female? Take the sentence, "Everyone knows that he needs food." "Everyone knows that he or she needs food" is wordy. "Everyone knows that they need food" is ungrammatical when "everyone" modifies "they."

5. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Back in biblical times, people weren't labelled or judged by sexuality. There were certain "rules" whom to consort with when it came to love and partnership, but this of course didn't stop people to express their love or lust with anyone they trusted in, man or woman.

Having said that, I can very well imagine that Jesus may have had a more "special bond" with his disciples, one that today's church would not only find appalling but heretic.

Who knows what Jesus was. There is apparent evidence within the scripture that pointed to Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene but the church denies that and still claims he was an abstinent bachelor well until after his death.

You can't win either way.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Except these Jordan Lead Codices are (almost certainly) fakes. :p

Pseudoarchaeology at its worst like the purported Lost tomb of Jesus that James Cameron tried to hype up.

But I guess religious loons will go on looking for nails, bits of wood, lost foreskins and magical goblets, and as long as they do there will be a rich flow of fakes.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well it would give a whole new meaning to the term, What Would Jesus Do?

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Would explain why he had 12 apostles, none of them a woman...

9. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

What do you think of this (http://www.tektonics.org/gk/gayjesus.html) non-Catholic article that supports what I told everyone about why cultural context is important when we read the Bible?

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I think "Who Would Jesus Do?" would be more appropriate in this case. :p

11. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

This thread is insulting. That whole article was humorously bogus and had no founding for its suggestions.

What if he WERE gay <- is the correct grammar.

I know its easy to spin something into whatever you want, but wow. Just wow

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This thread is not insulting. What is insulting is your post that clearly discounts one poster's desire to open a discussion on this topic. Although, people have discussed this in the past, it does not make it any less discussion-worthy. If you're so insulted then perhaps PRSI is not the forum you should continue trolling. Notwithstanding, you do not come off any less insulting when you inadequately attempt to qualify your first remark by pointing out a grammatical mistake and a declaration that someone has "spun" an article into something else. Newsflash, most mass media is nothing more than a spin off something else. The political and religious view of one determines the route the spin takes. I would say you should know better but chances are you simply don't. So I repeat what you have already said, WOW, just WOW.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since he's not around to speak for himself, we'll never know. If I were to guess, I'd say he was asexual.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

What if an imaginary character from a very old fantasy-horror book were gay? Reminds me of Harry Potter and Dumbledore.

15. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I'd like to point out that these codices have been proven false

16. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Ruse is a professional philosopher who should know better than to prooftext with tiny passages from the Bible. He may not be a Plato scholar, but he should know the meanings of the Greek word "agape," "eros," and "philia." He said that Richard Dawkins made him embarrassed to be an atheist. If he doesn't know what each of those three Greek words means, maybe he should be embarrassed to be a philosopher. Even before I studied Classical Greek, I already knew what "eros" and "philos" meant because the translators defined them in the Penguin Classics edition of Plato's Early Socratic Dialogues.

17. dime21 macrumors 6502

And what if Martin Luther King was a Neo-Nazi? Did you ever consider that possibility?

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Very true. Christians will probably support their argument with this bible passage: "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" (Galatians 1:8-9).

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Obviously you would like to, but can you?

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

And that's what the Bible and Christianity teach, so him being gay would be just as much a shock as him being straight and acting on it. The entire premise of the Da Vinci Code, that Jesus had children, is considered heretical and was condemned by many churches.

21. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Given your line of thinking, maybe we should create a thread entitled, "What if the sky was green?" Some topics are simply not worth discussing because the basic premise has no merit whatsoever. Capesh?

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That the subject lacks merit is a valid point, but your analogy is off the mark. It is more similar to discussing "what if Merlin the magician were a woman?"

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What is "capesh"? Do you mean, "capiche"?

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If Merlin was a woman, she'd be gay, no doubt. Why? The story of Merlin and Vivian has been told and retold numerous times.:) Very apt analogy considering the topic of someone else who may or may not be gay.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. A greater mind beat me to it but this sums it up nicely ...
    Capiche?