What if Keith Olbermann joined Fox News?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Jan 31, 2011.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Imagine a world in which Roger Ailes decides to hire Olbermann to make Fox News more "Fair and Balanced". I mean it could happen. It would definitely make for some interesting conflicts between hosts i.e. O'Reilly and Beck. Just imaging O'Reilly having to be a guest on Countdown and vice versa. Also as an added bonus, it would also help viewers on both sides of the political isle to reach out to the other side. Think about it, Liberals would have to actually change the channel to Fox News to watch Olbermann and Conservatives would have to watch constant TV ads and commentaries about Olbermann. It would make for some very good entertainment.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see Olbermann ever going to Fox News and being taken seriously. After feuding with O'Reilly for all of these years and then joining the team and everyone is besties. The only way he ever goes is if he is given a huge pay check. I would bet that O'Reilly leaves if that ever happened.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Only took 6 minutes to find the right place to use this.

[​IMG]

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I always thought it would be a good idea to combine all the infotainment personalities in one channel. It would make them all easier to ignore.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think it'd be a brilliant move by fox, though I think Olbermann has a spine and wouldn't play along.

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

As much fun as it is to speculate about such a scenario, it doesn't make sense to me. First of all it would piss off their core audience. Fox has a large viewership and doesn't concern themselves with being fair and balanced. Also, Olbermann is too intelligent, too liberal, and he didn't even get great ratings on a supposedly liberal network.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Olbermann had like 40% the viewership of O'Reilly/Beck/Hannity/Baier.
    Sorry, but there's no way in hell Fox would want that kind of utter failure in their lineup.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He would bring in huge ratings where ever he goes, if Fox did hire Olbermann and O'Reilly left what a move it would be for MSNBC to hire him. I don't see any chance in hell or either happening but it would be a fascinating switch. I don't consider O'Reilly a loon either. He just knows how to ruffle feathers.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

KO has more intelligence than all of Fox's hosts combined. He's too good for them.

I don't know that CNN would want to abandon its neutral stance, but it'd be interesting if he went there. He drew good ratings for MSNBC, so somebody's going to want him. Perhaps a channel outside of the "usual suspects", like TNT or Showtime.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm concerned by the fact that several years ago I felt O'Reilly was way the hell on the right and a total loon, and now, faced with glenn beck, O'Reilly looks downright rational.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't watch any of these shows, there is far more better things on TV than talking heads. But I think O'Reilly is fairly biased when doing interviews. Sure he has a point of view but I don't think he is a loud mouth never get a word in like Mathews.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The most logical move would be to take a rotating host spot on Realtime. Bill Maher would get more time off to recharge his batteries, and Keith Olbermann would almost certainly be able to carry the show in his own similar style (probably omitting the stand-up part and some of the other goofy schtick).
    That he would want to return to what he was doing before is not at all obvious.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

No, it's not. Olbermann isn't good enough to be on Fox. He'd be a major drain on their revenue stream. Not sure what MacNut was talking about... the man can't draw an audience - period.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Fox News is just about the only game in town if you are a right-wing, tea-party, conservative Republican. On the other hand, the rest of the country has options that dillute the audience that is seeking political commentary.

The fact that Olbermann could draw the audience he did while having competition is a far more laudable achievement than people on a channel with no competition.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stop encouraging him.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

A topless woman would bring in viewers. Ability to draw in a "bigger" means little to nothing about the substance. Since when has popularity EVER been a sign of quality? :rolleyes:

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's amazing to me that this point continues and continues and continues to evade...a Mac user. :p

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The same as eating horse manure with a spoon and banging your head on a cinder block. Those two things, while not very popular MUST be good right?

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? That's your argument? Have you ever taken a test like the SAT or ACT or anything even remotely similar? Do you know what those types of questions look like?
    So, (Fox News-good ratings) : (Olbermann-not as good ratings) :: (topless woman-good ratings) : (Eating horse manure with a spoon-who does that?)

Care to try again?

(edit) I'll help you out. Replace your response with (Topless Rep. Lee (R)-not as good ratings)

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i think you missed it SAT-boy, the assertion that less popular things have more quality is bogus.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're not being purposely obtuse, are you? Neither mcrain nor bobber are saying that popularity and quality are always inversely proportional, just that they are in no way automatically so.

Although I will grant you that:

eating horse manure = watching Fox
    and
    banging one's head with a cinder block = voting conservative.

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Illegal logical conversion: five yard penalty.

Saying "some women do not look good in heels" is not the same as saying "all women who are not in heels look good."

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I missed it? Did anyone see the word "quality" in my post? SAT-boy? Wow, I haven't been called that in a long time, and back then it was SAT-boy, ACT-boy, LSAT-boy... you name the test, I killed it. I wear that title as a badge of honor.

Then again, I saw the flaw in your analogy and you must not have, as you typed it.

(edit) You're defending the argument that tries to equate ratings to quality.