What if plastic iPhone is the lone iPhone release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoIsays, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SoIsays macrumors regular

I have a feeling that the low cost plastic iPhone that's been spreading online is going to be the new iPhone released in 2013. That would allow Apple to change up the release schedule and release their flagship phone in the summer/fall of 2014. That would result in a new staggered release schedule of plastic/flagship/plastic/flagship. Just saying.

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Highly unlikely.

3. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Just saying, it won't happen. Too many angry customers if it did and Apple is not that stupid. Just a little stupid :D

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I've been wondering whether this is the 5s or 6 and there is no low cost iPhone.

5. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

honestly im pretty positive that it is plastic but what if its some special glossy paint on an aluminum casing or some really high end material and they're making it a little bigger to fit a bigger battery...just an idea but probably not even close

6. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

I would hit myself with a pan.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If the plastic iPhone becomes the only iPhone model going forward, then there's really no reason for me not to pick a much cheaper Android phone. However, that's not gonna happen--there will be the high end and the cheaper version. Though they may not released at the same time.

8. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

9. Dannel macrumors member

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everyone has one one way or another. Care to back it up with something substantial?

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Imagine if Apple made a metal iPhone and then the very next year ditched it for a plastic one.

I know, right? Never gonna happen :cool:

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I can see the exact same iphone5 as an s with minor upgrades along side the plastic one.

13. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

As someone who puts a plastic case on his iPhone 4, I see a plastic iPhone not as "cheap", but as practical. Won't the plastic iPhone be thinner than the 5S with a case around it? Unfortunately, I'm guessing they won't offer the "cheap" model with 64GB of storage.

I might settle for small bumpers of some sort as I'm actually fairly careful with my phone.

14. farmermac macrumors 6502a

not sure what the beef is with the plastic case. My 3gs was way tougher then my 4 & 4s have been. And felt good in your hands too

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I don't think this will happen. If it does, I would be disappointed, however, Samsung seems to sell millions of plastic phones.;)

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

People will use cases still.

Plastic is thicker than metal for the same strength.

17. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

You only chose it for the housing????Wow.

----------

Agreed.A well made plastic phone is fine with me.I don't consider a phone a fashion accessory or status symbol.But I'd be surprised if they dumped the metal/glass body just the same.

18. Caesars macrumors regular

I don't think it would matter, I don't know what the hate on plastic phones is all about lol. My favorite form factor/build was the iPhone 3G.

----------

+1

19. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

I would actually be quite happy. I think it would be a mistake for Apple to release a "cheaper" iPhone. Just isn't what Apple has ever been about and if anything would bring back the same problems that they had before Steve Jobs' return when they had a billion different products and didn't specialize in anything.

Keep it to one, lone, new iPhone. Also, agreed on the "what's wrong with plastic" question. I LOVED my iPhone 3GS. Thought the look and feel was stunning.

20. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'll hate it and cry.

Then buy it since I'm consumed in Apple's ecosystem.

21. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Apple can claim it's better constructed and more resilient than previous glass-metal combos, with thousands of people raving it's the best thing since the original iPhone was released.

The uneducated masses will absolutely believe everything Apple marketing tells them, and they're the majority. Another winning quarter in the books.

22. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

This is certainly a possibility. However, I would think that they would want to release a new high end phone to coincide with the release of iOS7.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

But what if it is actually better constructed and more resilient? You make it seem like all Apple ever does is lie.

That said, I would have my doubts about the flagship line going plastic... but Apple wouldn't change materials unless it was at least as durable as the materials in past iPhones. In which case they would say it was as durable, not more durable.

24. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Yup. That's been the story for 5 years almost

25. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921