What if Romney gets more votes but loses?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Oct 26, 2012.

1. 63dot, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We all know the electoral college is the metric we go by. But if Obama wins an electoral college victory, currently 277-206 with rest toss up and numbers similar to this in months leading to election, but loses popular vote (Gallup at 48% percent each today), will there be an uproar?

As Romney is surging in popular vote, though not even close the number of electoral votes needed to win, he could very well win the popular vote if trend continues. This would be the second time in 12 years the winner had fewer popular votes. Al Gore calls for a popular vote to be the rule. Thoughts?

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170853/it-might-save-obama-year-electoral-college-must-go#

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Second time in two years ? Don't you mean second time in two presidential elections ?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If the electoral college saves us this time, I'll take back every bad thing I've said about it. ;)

And the Bush-Gore election was in 2000. I'm not sure what you mean by two years.

No. Bush 2000 + Bush 2004 + Obama 2008 + Obama 2012 = four elections.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If Obama wins, there will be an uproar no matter what- more birtherism and Teapublican nonsense.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have wondered this and would welcome the unavoidable republican outcry. I want the electoral college system gone and if a republican tissy fit is a step toward that end, I'm in.

P-Worm

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Romney is going to win the popular and electoral vote. Brace yourself for a very dark future.

For what it's worth: Obama 2012!

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

God forbid the polls turn out to be wrong and/or Obama has a last-minute surge, because any way that Obama wins the popular vote is going to send the Republicans on a four year conspiracy theory binge.

I'm even prepared for them to say the electoral college has been rigged.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Actually, hasn't there been at least 2 other elections where the loser won the popular vote? I thought one of the elections in the 60s or 70s had this happen as well.

Edit: Nevermind, it didn't actually happen anytime in the 20th century

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Thomas: What about Tagg (what an ugly name) Romney "buying the ohio voting machine"...? Is that a threat to Obama's chances of winning Ohio?

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The democrats were not happy with 2000 but accepted it. I don't think the Romney crowd will be so happy when it happens to them. But if it does, the popular vote proponents will have a strong position saying it hurt both major parties in (12, oops) years. ;)

The bounce from Obama's last debate could still yet happen and the president could win both the electoral and popular vote and this will quiet down the GOP in terms of a conspiracy theory concerning the voting booth.

I am waiting to see if this Romney endorsed idiot who thinks rapes are God's will drop Romney's numbers down some. Had some of the more extreme GOP candidates just kept their mouth shut, Romney could be ahead so this election could come down to one where the republicans simply beat themselves. In 1988, Michael Dukakis ran such a lukewarm campaign that he doomed himself.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He who pays for the polls calls the tune. :p

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

His full name is "Taggart"! Like nails on a chalkboard... oh, and I'm sure you know it's not "Mitt", it's "Willard".

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I didn't even know about that. Just read about it now, and it does raise eyebrows.

Man, if the polls stay the same until election day and then they tell us that Romney won Ohio, there'll be a lot of conspiracy theorists on the Democrats' side.

I thought I was joking when I talked about manipulating the electoral college. I hope to high heaven we don't end up arguing about whether the Republicans actually found a way to do it.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Those names were meant to lose. :eek:

I sure hope the GOP doesn't try to keep the elections all family business. I wouldn't want Taggart on the ticket in the future. From 1952 to 2004, not counting 1964, there has been a Nixon, Dole, or a Bush on the ticket. This is also in context with Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Elizabeth Dole both being on short lists for the ticket, too.

'52 Ike, Nixon
    '56 same
    '60 Nixon Lodge
    '64 Goldwater Miller
    '68 Nixon Agnew
    '72 Nixon Agnew
    '76 Ford Dole
    '80 Reagan Bush
    '84 same
    '88 Bush Quayle
    '92 Bush Quayle
    '96 Dole Kemp
    '00 Bush Cheney
    '04 same

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

My first thought is that the "surge" is a myth dreamed up by those on the GOP side and the media to boost ratings. (wow...imagine that. The "liberal" media and the GOP agree on something!). My second thought is that if this surge was real and he did win the popular vote, that our country is doomed in the long run because we have way too many people who are way too easily duped by a lying shapeshifter. The information is out there. But if people aren't going to look, then wow...this lets every creep out there know that hey...you can say and do anything you want and still get people to buy into it! Expect even more corruption in our politics when that happens.

I don't think so. Not unless something happens to Ohio. It seems like he already has that locked up, Nevada locked up, and WI will probably be his as well. That is all he is going to need that he doesn't already have.

16. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I got rooms in my flat next year if you want to jump ship and live with a smart ass kiwi.

'Jus Sayin. Please, I want flatmates with money not poor ass students

Seriously though, Romney means bad things internationally too. Bush's stupidity alone completely ruined the USA's international relations. Can't wait until a Romney gets in the oval office. Might have to change the USA to FUSA otherwise.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If that happens it will really make me wonder how sane most Americans are, but at the same time if he gets the popular vote he should win the race. Hopefully if it happens having the loser win the race from both major parties in a short timespan will make it more likely to have both parties work together to get rid of the electoral college.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

It seems like with the way the electoral college works, that a candidate could conceivably get only about 30% of the popular vote, yet still win the election.

This is how I decided this. Someone tell me if this logic is flawed.
    Note: obviously only a percentage of the population votes, but the percentages would remain the same, so I used the full numbers
    • Winner needs 270 electoral votes
    • 11 top states total 270 electoral votes
    • Using 2010 population figures, those 11 states contained about 176.1 million people
    • Assuming just over half of the population of each of those 11 states voited for one candidate, you'd have maybe 90 million votes for him
    • With over half the vote in each of those states, that state goes to that candidate
    • Total population at 309 million
    • 90 million is about 29.1% of 309 million
    • So, even with 29% of the popular vote, that candidate wins.

That's a pretty messed up system, if you ask me!

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If Romney doesn't take Ohio, it's basically a wrap for him.

Obama still has a decent chance if he loses Ohio.

This election is definitely in Obamas favor.

It's not a messed up system at all, although not perfect.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well it's important to remember that the theory behind the electoral college is similar to the one behind our two congressional houses. It was meant to balance the needs of the rural and urban populations, as our founding fathers feared that, in a direct system, the voice of the farming communities would be drowned out by city dwellers.

21. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I agree.

But not with the obama 2012 part.

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

But you agree Romney = Dark future...? :D

23. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Either way you guys will have to deal with a republican president in the near future. If not Romney, then four more years of increased national debt and slow recovery will cause America to vote for someone even more conservative than Romney.

I'm not saying that under Romney the debt will go down or that the recovery will be any better.

I'm just making a prediction

24. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

it's pretty frightening as the day gets closer, just the thought of Romney in, and Obama out scares the hell out of me, I already see another way on the menu, jobs? yeah right , Healthcare repealed :eek:, Romney won't get anything done for 2 years or so , and they will say will the guy who used to run the show screwed it up....:D

Romney will have his base, Obama has his, it's the undecided who count, hopefully when it comes to choose , they dig deep and vote for the president they know who got us into this mess and they know if 4 years enough to clean up the mess.... I believe that people will have a change of heart in that booth right before casting:D

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And also, if one particular state was corrupt, they couldn't pad the popular vote limitlessly, since the most you can get is the particular state's electoral college votes.

Think about it. If it goes to a national tally, some states, 10 let's say, use easily hackable voting machines made by, let's say, the Farmer's Party. The votes in those states get flipped a bit. Could be enough to win the popular vote.

So, if the U.S. is going to go for a popular vote result, we all need to make darn sure that there is a verifiable and secure system in place at the federal level. That is going to cost a lot of real money-- the U.S. has never done it before, and, many states haven't really made the effort as of today.