What if the "iPhone 5C"...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TWD98j, Aug 3, 2013.

1. TWD98j macrumors regular

Just a thought....

WHAT IF Apple, as a way to keep costs low, releases this thing with largely the same components as the iPhone 5 EXCEPT for the chip(s) for cellular data?

Think about it...what better way to keep costs low on a budget iPhone than to eliminate a data plan? It would obviously still pack a cellular radio for making calls, but what if everything that required data would have to be done via WiFi? Basically an iPod Touch that can make phone calls.

Eliminating chips for cellular data would surely keep manufacturing costs lower, and able to keep the device competitively priced. It would also make the device less expensive to own over time, as customers would only need to pay monthly for voice/texts and not expensive data plans.

Look at what Apple did with the 16GB iPod Touch earlier this year...same build as the current iPod Touch, except took starting point from 32GB to 16GB and omitted the main/rear camera sensor, only including the FaceTime camera. So it had all the functionality of the iPod Touch EXCEPT for taking pics/video and the price point is $70 less than the regular iPod Touch.

Given that, I think it can be viewed as potential writing on the wall, as far as ways in which Apple can cut costs on their products, by omitting certain features & functionality, yet still put out a quality product.

So, if Apple omitted the cellular data chip from the iPhone 5C, that would obviously lower the cost of the device itself AND would further reduce pricing by eliminating data plans. Apple has to be thinking about how many potential customers who WANT iPhones don't buy them because of not wanting to take on a data plan? Lots of customers are around WiFi all day and don't feel they need cellular data, and with the data rates and caps nowadays, owning an iPhone can get quite expensive.

Releasing an iPhone that has similar specs to an iPhone 5, but negates a need for cellular data, could be a way for Apple to reach those customers. Other components which could be considered too could include the chip (A5 instead of A6) and the camera (5MP instead of 8MP) which would even then still keep components on par with the current iPod Touch - which I don't see them updating at all - and the iPad Mini.

Is something like this plausible? Would Apple consider putting out a product called iPhone that does not have a chip for cellular data and is for calls and requires WiFi for data? Doing so would surely differentiate the "iPhone 5C" from the current iPhone 5 and the upcoming iPhone 5S.

Then Apple could also comfortably eliminate the 4/4S, so as to not have fragmentation with respect to screen size and connector type, since this would bring all current iPhone/iPod Touch models to 4" screen and lightning connector. It would also give Apple a simple 3-tier line up of iPhones with the 5C/5/5S.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The chips for cellular data and voice are the same. Plus the amplifier. Both are needed, one cannot work without the other. Apple would save little no no money with a voice only setup.

3. 617aircav Suspended

But who will buy a $400 ish phone that can't access data?

4. irDigital0l Guest

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

What's the point of having a iPhone if it doesn't have an internet connection everywhere I go?

6. 617aircav Suspended

The thought of such a phone being made in 2013 is ludicrous. The OP has no idea what he is saying.

7. cynics macrumors G3

No offense but just the thought of this is dumb. It renders so much of what Apple has been trying to do useless.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Its absolutely dumb.

9. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

It's actually quite refreshing to see someone come up with some ideas other than, same as the iPhone 5 but with not current internals, lesser camera and plastic exterior, oh and perhaps no fingerprint scanner (who cares?!) - essentially, two phones that do the *exact same thing* but are different prices. If people actually thought about what that would do to the expensive iPhone for just a second, they'd realise it will never happen (i.e. the number of people who would opt for the less expensive phone would potentially kill the expensive iPhone). The premium model must retain features that people are not only willing to pay for (and possibly $100s), but absolutely aren't willing to forgo those features by saving some money buying the less expensive phone.

The OP is on to something, but rather than position it less than an iPod Touch, I'd put it in between an iPod Touch and iPhone, sort of like an iPod Touch with a data only-SIM, which utilises Cloud services, like FaceTime, iMessage, Skype and other myriad great such services, but just doesn't make traditional cellular calls.

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You mean leave out the most important feature a user in a third world country with limited fixed line infrastructure would want/need?

Most of Africa and a lot of Asia is beginning to rely on mobile telephony as their sole form of telecommunication.

That sounds like a brilliant idea :rolleyes:.

11. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Since when has Apple ever created a product aimed solely or primarily at a market that wasn't the US? I've heard the "emerging markets" argument regarding this phone, but it makes no sense based on Apple's history. If they release a phone that makes sense in another market (a fair assumption), it first must make sense in the US.

If you've got some other ideas on how this product might actually be different from the premium iPhone model I'd love to hear them. You know it's always easier to sit on the sidelines and yell obscenities at the quarterback - that takes no skill or imagination whatsoever. :rolleyes:

12. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Your completely right, from what I have seen apple looks at the U.S needs and wants and Europe's needs and wants and designs the device off of that. I don't think that this iPhone 5C if its going to Africa and other 3rd world areas is being designed for their market. If apple would want to do that they would seriously dumb this phone down and make it as cheap as possible and not sell it here for fear of their reputation as a premium phone maker. My opinion anyway.

13. Cutterschoice macrumors member

14. BBNYC macrumors newbie

Horrible idea, will never happen. Just makes no sense at all smh

15. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Since Apple has already created a product exclusively for the Chinese, or didn't you know about the A1442 iPhone 5? Or the A1431 iPhone 4S?

They were both designed "solely or primarily" for "a market that wasn't the US".

Apple has more than once said they want to exploit the emerging markets like China and India, the only thing holding them back is the price of the iPhone (especially when compared to earnings in those countries). They know they need a cheaper version to compete with Android in lower income countries.

Apple wants worldwide domination, and aiming products at those markets is what they will do.

16. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

this is the craziest and most stupid idea I've heard about low cost iPhone!

17. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

What's the name of this iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 for the Chinese market? Would it be the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5? Sounds like the same product to me, tweaked with internals to address technical requirements as they did in the US.
    Same product, same name. They were not both designed for a market that isn't the US, the product was already in production, targeting mainly the US and was merely tweaked. Not quite the same as creating a new product aimed at their market.

Now, if their products had been named the iPhone 4C and had been entirely different in features, I'd be with you.

But for argument's purposes, let's say that an iPhone 5C (targeting China or some other market where the iPhone doesn't play well due to price) were then sold in the US too (unless you argue they won't sell an entirely new Apple product in the US?? think of the outcry!) - which phone will the average consumer buy, the one with cheaper price tag, or the exact same phone (better materials, faster though most likely indiscernibly faster chip, better camera<yawn>) with the premium price tag??

These products have to be vastly different to warrant a new model designation, which is why the iPhones for the Chinese market didn't get one.

18. cynics macrumors G3

I think the cheaper NEW iPhone would sell more everywhere on the planet.

In the US the 4/4S make up 50% or more of new iPhone sales now and they are considered "old" or so I've read.

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You need a few extra hairs to split or straws to clutch?

They are separate models with separate designations in the iPhone family. That's why they have different names with different internals (not just "tweaked" as you think).

The A1442 was designed exclusively for China, unless you want to point to another country this product was launched in.

Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same (unless you have no knowledge of electronics production), there is no technician sitting "tweaking" the US or World versions, they would be redesigned from the ground up.

20. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

You make me laugh. You're doing exactly what you're accusing me of doing.

The A1442 is an iPhone 5. It's an iPhone 5, not an iPhone 5C, it's an iPhone 5. This new product is different enough such that they have given it a new designation, meaning that it has been designed to be very different, and not just which cell towers it can connect to. The A1442 is an iPhone 5, you're the one who is splitting hairs here - what you are describing as a new or different product is merely a localisation effort of an *existing* product.

21. cynics macrumors G3

I don't think his point was that it didn't have a different radio for CDMA and wifi (wapi) made specifically for China. But its the same phone with no difference then many different versions of the iPhone with different radios.

The 5C isn't going to be the 5S (rumored of course) in anyway. Entirely different and sold side by side. Apple will still sell a china model of the 5S in china to those that can afford it.

But to not sell a cheap version in the US? That would be strange.