What if the Iphone 6 isn't truly 8 megapixels?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Oct 2, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Camera manfacturers have been known to take say a 9 megapix camera and blow it up in camera to 16mp and then advertise it as such. It's usually obvious because of lack of fine details and texture at 100%. Now with the iPhone 6 at 100% there are no fine details and often they look smeared just like youd see with an image that was resized and blown up aka digital zoom

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

It isnt smeared for me, my i6 takes fantastic photos with very good detail, even when I zoom in

3. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Take a really sharp razor blade and cut a quarter of the sensor off the phone and you will have confirmed you worries on your phone...

glad I could help!

4. rockhopper353 macrumors member

5. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're posting a resized pic the size of a playing card what do you expect?

6. pish6969 macrumors regular

As a newer member of the forums, these threads are my favorite. OP takes a quick jab at one phone and the people that own the other phone go crazy and this goes on for days.

Then the experts come in and post links to support their claims.

These forums are better than any sitcoms on tv

...the voice of reason

7. rockhopper353 macrumors member

I've got this pic on my 24" imac as the wallpaper and it's sharp as a tack, I'm a photographer by the way so if you want to argue the toss go ahead!

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

OP, when you blow a picture up to pixel for pixel 100%, fine detail suffers on anything less than a high-end dedicated camera.

Love my smartphone, but a DSLR it is not.

As for manufactures falsifying resolution, I'm pretty sure that is something anandtech and other technical type of publications would be able to expose pretty quickly. (Think Samsung getting caught juicing benchmark tests)

9. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So am I. Upload the full size pic somewhere please and link it

----------

It's anything but a jab. I'm not trying to attack the phone, just trying to figure out an issue that many people have with it. So far my most logical reason would be that they're underexposing for highlights, bring up the shadows in post and using noise reduction to cover the noise by raising the shadows.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What if? Nothing.. If I like the pictures I take, that is all that matters to me.

11. pjstrrns macrumors member

I would like to see the full size photo also. I have seen lots of claims of people saying their iPhone 6 takes the sharpest photos. However they are never willing to post the full sized image with exif data to prove they were taken with an iphone 6.
    Then on the other hand you have everyone else thinking something is wrong with their phone.

Like all of these forums:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1790221
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1795589
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1792938
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1786611

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. rockhopper353 macrumors member

No problem, at work but I'll post a couple of links tomorrow.

14. Bazilemac macrumors regular

Omg i know! Its my favorite thing about mac rumours. I started a thread a few days ago for just this reason. Its so funny hahahaha

15. deviant macrumors 65816

Make it next week man.

16. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

Just started noticing the compression.. really annoying... everything is a fuzzy mess once you zoom in a bit.

makes me wonder about that video fromthe dudes that took pics in iceland......

17. rockhopper353 macrumors member

18. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

19. rockhopper353 macrumors member

Cheers he's a boy, I think personally the camera does a pretty good job from my experience so far but I'm sure the same as any on a phone will have its limitations in certain areas.

20. rockhopper353 macrumors member

Cheers he's a boy, I think personally the camera does a pretty good job from my experience so far but I'm sure the same as any on a phone will have its limitations in certain areas.

Edited the link so exif data can be seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128425365@N08/15436506645/

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Another the iPhone 6 camera sucks thread by this poster?

Time to move on dude. Either your phones camera is defective, accept it for what it is, or buy another phone if the iPhone's camera isn't to your standard.

22. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

As a photographer it's always sad to see all the pixel peeping. More pixels do not necessarily mean a better picture. Cramming more pixels on a small sensor usually results in a poorer picture, especially one as small as what is in a smartphone.

I don't own a IP6, I have a 6+, but my pics are very nice for a smartphone, nothing near the level of my Canon pro gear or my Fuji X Series gear.

For any soft image look at the EXIF data and see what the ISO, shutter speed and aperture are. Depending on light and other environment situations your shutter speed can be so low, for example, that the image will be blurry due to hand shake. Don't tell me your hands don't shake, all hands shake enough to cause distortion at slow shutter speeds and large apertures.

For those that say smudging is different than blurr it can be different, and in most cases it has to do with how the image is processed. The only camera I've found that processes images at all well is the Fuji X-Series. Are you processing the image with any post processing software on the phone, or even with Apple's software? Depending on the adjustments being made blurr can definitely be a result of over processing.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There will also be some third party software, soon, that will offer us "complete" control over all the functions of the camera. I would like to turn off the noise control and apply it myself as needed. Other than that, I am seeing really good images from my 6, better than my 5S.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't what specs apple (or anyone else) advertises as long as the camera takes nice images and for my the iPhone does in fact take nice images.

25. rockhopper353, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

rockhopper353 macrumors member

Agreed about the pixel peeping, not sure about those linked images with smudging but if folk are getting this see if you can compare with another phone to see if its a problem with yours maybe.

I don't see much smudging in these leaf veins or the petals !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412430786.873831.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128425365@N08/15249885230/