What if the Iphone 6 isn't truly 8 megapixels?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Camera manfacturers have been known to take say a 9 megapix camera and blow it up in camera to 16mp and then advertise it as such. It's usually obvious because of lack of fine details and texture at 100%. Now with the iPhone 6 at 100% there are no fine details and often they look smeared just like youd see with an image that was resized and blown up aka digital zoom

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Camera manfacturers have been known to take say a 9 megapix camera and blow it up in camera to 16mp and then advertise it as such. It's usually obvious because of lack of fine details and texture at 100%. Now with the iPhone 6 at 100% there are no fine details and often they look smeared just like youd see with an image that was resized and blown up aka digital zoom
It isnt smeared for me, my i6 takes fantastic photos with very good detail, even when I zoom in

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Take a really sharp razor blade and cut a quarter of the sensor off the phone and you will have confirmed you worries on your phone...

glad I could help!

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
As a newer member of the forums, these threads are my favorite. OP takes a quick jab at one phone and the people that own the other phone go crazy and this goes on for days.

Then the experts come in and post links to support their claims.

These forums are better than any sitcoms on tv

...the voice of reason

rockhopper353

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
What if the Iphone 6 isn't truly 8 megapixels?

You're posting a resized pic the size of a playing card what do you expect?

I've got this pic on my 24" imac as the wallpaper and it's sharp as a tack, I'm a photographer by the way so if you want to argue the toss go ahead!

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
OP, when you blow a picture up to pixel for pixel 100%, fine detail suffers on anything less than a high-end dedicated camera.

Love my smartphone, but a DSLR it is not.

As for manufactures falsifying resolution, I'm pretty sure that is something anandtech and other technical type of publications would be able to expose pretty quickly. (Think Samsung getting caught juicing benchmark tests)

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I've got this pic on my 24" imac as the wallpaper and it's sharp as a tack, I'm a photographer by the way so if you want to argue the toss go ahead!

So am I. Upload the full size pic somewhere please and link it

----------

As a newer member of the forums, these threads are my favorite. OP takes a quick jab at one phone and the people that own the other phone go crazy and this goes on for days.

...the voice of reason
It's anything but a jab. I'm not trying to attack the phone, just trying to figure out an issue that many people have with it. So far my most logical reason would be that they're underexposing for highlights, bring up the shadows in post and using noise reduction to cover the noise by raising the shadows.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
What if? Nothing.. If I like the pictures I take, that is all that matters to me.

pjstrrns

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
So am I. Upload the full size pic somewhere please and link it
I would like to see the full size photo also. I have seen lots of claims of people saying their iPhone 6 takes the sharpest photos. However they are never willing to post the full sized image with exif data to prove they were taken with an iphone 6.
Then on the other hand you have everyone else thinking something is wrong with their phone.

Like all of these forums:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1790221/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1795589/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792938/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1786611/

rockhopper353

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I would like to see the full size photo also. I have seen lots of claims of people saying their iPhone 6 takes the sharpest photos. However they are never willing to post the full sized image with exif data to prove they were taken with an iphone 6.

Then on the other hand you have everyone else thinking something is wrong with their phone.

Like all of these forums:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1790221/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1795589/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1792938/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1786611/

No problem, at work but I'll post a couple of links tomorrow.

Bazilemac

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014

...the voice of reason

Omg i know! Its my favorite thing about mac rumours. I started a thread a few days ago for just this reason. Its so funny hahahaha

cg006

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Just started noticing the compression.. really annoying... everything is a fuzzy mess once you zoom in a bit.

makes me wonder about that video fromthe dudes that took pics in iceland......

rockhopper353

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
That's an amazing pic. Good job (and good boy/girl, whatever the case may be for the dog).
Cheers he's a boy, I think personally the camera does a pretty good job from my experience so far but I'm sure the same as any on a phone will have its limitations in certain areas.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Another the iPhone 6 camera sucks thread by this poster?

Time to move on dude. Either your phones camera is defective, accept it for what it is, or buy another phone if the iPhone's camera isn't to your standard.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
As a photographer it's always sad to see all the pixel peeping. More pixels do not necessarily mean a better picture. Cramming more pixels on a small sensor usually results in a poorer picture, especially one as small as what is in a smartphone.

I don't own a IP6, I have a 6+, but my pics are very nice for a smartphone, nothing near the level of my Canon pro gear or my Fuji X Series gear.

For any soft image look at the EXIF data and see what the ISO, shutter speed and aperture are. Depending on light and other environment situations your shutter speed can be so low, for example, that the image will be blurry due to hand shake. Don't tell me your hands don't shake, all hands shake enough to cause distortion at slow shutter speeds and large apertures.

For those that say smudging is different than blurr it can be different, and in most cases it has to do with how the image is processed. The only camera I've found that processes images at all well is the Fuji X-Series. Are you processing the image with any post processing software on the phone, or even with Apple's software? Depending on the adjustments being made blurr can definitely be a result of over processing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There will also be some third party software, soon, that will offer us "complete" control over all the functions of the camera. I would like to turn off the noise control and apply it myself as needed. Other than that, I am seeing really good images from my 6, better than my 5S.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I don't what specs apple (or anyone else) advertises as long as the camera takes nice images and for my the iPhone does in fact take nice images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.