What if the iPhone 6S still only had 1GB of memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilky76, Feb 1, 2015.

1. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Ok so the iPhone 6S everybody expecting it to have 2GB of ram, now what if Apple decide hmmmm let keep that until the iPhone 7 and iOS 10.

iOS 9 might be tweaked & better optimized than iOS 8 so runs more efficiently, so if Apple can still get away using just 1GB of ram in the 6S then i think they will to keep costs down & maximize profits, & keep the 2GB for the iPad Air series because of the resolution they use on it's display.

Another reason they might stick with just 1GB for the 6S, is as mentioned above is the screen resolution, the 6S will have the same screen as the 6 & same goes for the 6 Plus, it won't be pushing any more pixels than it currently does on the 6, the only features the 6S might get is better camera & slightly better more efficient A9 processor & slightly better battery life, I don't think it be leaps and bounds over the current 6, as all the new features will be saved for the iPhone 7 in 2016, which could actually go quad core with the A10.

So if the 6S does end up with just 1GB of ram, will you be mighty dissapointed, will you still buy it or will you hang onto your current 5S or 6 and wait till the iPhone 7 in 2016.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the hue and cry over the iPhone 6 only having a gig of ram, I'd say the amount of complaining will be even worse.

With that said, since the new iPad has 2GB of ram, I think its unlikely that you'll see the 6s with only a gig of ram.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The world will keep on spinning and people will still buy the new phone.

It is possible the 6S will have 2gb but we might have to wait for the 7.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

5. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

The 6s will be no different in memory. "Outcry?" For heavens sake they shipped 70 Million iPhones with 1g or less in Q1!!!

The iPhone 7 will have most likely have 2-4 g with the new 14nm A10 Chip in it.

The 6s will have the A9X. :apple:

6. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

If iPhone 6 has just 1GB RAM, then I will continue using my 5S.

I firmly believe that reputed review sites will mark iPhone 6S ratings down if Apple goes miser again. That would definitely hurt Apple in the long run.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I read that the 6S will have 2GB of super fast LPDDR4 RAM.
    Apple stiffed us this time around, knowing that the bigger screen would shift numbers by itself. The 6S will address actual performance issues and stride on from the 5/5S/6/6+ group of phones with their paltry 1GB of RAM.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Unless there was a killer feature, I would keep my 6. Personally the iPad having 2gb of RAM was more important. I actually toggle apps a lot more on my iPad than my iPhone. I only have 8 additional apps outside of stock on my phone.

If I had a 6 plus I would need the 2gb of RAM. That screen could definitely benefit from it.

9. Pelea macrumors 6502

There won't be 2gb of ram in the 6s, there will be 500mb, to make the phone more efficient, as removing 50% of the ram will reduce the weight of the phone and allow apple to shed off another 1mm off the design.

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i don't get why ppl whine about ios devices having 1gb memory.

it's not like they need to run java code like crapdroid... that's a huge waste of perfectly good RAM.

11. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Guys, remember when we used to have 256MB of RAM on our computers back in the day? Our desktop-class browsers had multiple tabs open at a time and I never recall having pages reload due to RAM shortage. 1GB of RAM is not the issue on a mobile device that reloads tabs. It's lack of optimization and lazyness on Apple's part.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The o/s itself used way less RAM back then, as did the programs/applications. I don't think it's in any way comparable.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I would bet about the 2 Gb.... Btw I still have to find a single case of real limitation with one giga on both my iPad and iPhone.
    If they are not going to change iOS significantly, I think 1 Gb will be fine.

14. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

speak for yourself... my first computer had 16 KILObytes of memory. those were the days.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They whine because it affects performance. This stuff about Android needing more and iOS needing less is BS. My Android tablet with 1.5GB of RAM reloads browser tabs way less readily than my 6+. Those who don't ever swap between tabs & apps and need data to stay in memory will never notice a problem. If you use an app, close it and you're done then you won't notice this issue. Likewise if you open a browser tab, go about your business in that one tab and then you're done, zero problems.

Want to open up a search in Amazon and then cross-reference against a search on a retailer's website? Go back to the Amazon app (or Ebay app) and it will reload, causing you to have to enter all the search parameters again. Spend ten minutes in the app and switch back to the retailer's website again....bam, it has reloaded and you will need to enter your search parameters again. Believe me, this gets tedious. The same will happen if you're filling out a webform or completing a purchase; you leave the browser to respond to an app notification or to check something, then return to the webform and if you're lucky it will be as you left it, if not then it will have reloaded. It's all a game of chance and you can't rely on the system at all!

16. 617aircav Suspended

We all know the 6s will be identical to the 6. If they don't double the memory what else could they add to make it different from the 6?

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well according to most people here, extra RAM would be pointless so how could it be a selling point for Apple? They never quote specs like that anyway, let alone sell a device on the back of them. I should imagine there'll be a processor improvement and better camera as always. Hopefully some extra RAM will be in there too.

18. rosario1990 macrumors regular

I'm wonder if it's have only 1 GB. But I think it's never be.

19. wilky76 thread starter macrumors regular

wilky76

Better camera maybe 10mp and 16:9 as default rather than 4:3, OIS in both the 6S & 6S Plus & maybe 4K recording
    A9 naturally
    Sapphire Glass
    Better fingerprint sensor
    32GB version replaces 16GB
    Notification LED......:p

I personally think the 6S will focus more on the camera than anything else, with the big improvements coming with the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus along with iOS 10

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

When the iPhone 5 came out, it was among the smartphones that had the most amount of RAM at the time -- at 1GB. I've still got my iPhone 5 (running iOS8) and that's one of the reasons why it's still very usable today--no lag. It was an excellent value.

RAM isn't everything for sure, but it's definitely an important factor in longevity and your experience when you upgrade the OS. The fact that the iPhone 6 only having 1GB basically makes it a two year smartphone -- it will be a laggy mess by the time the iPhone 7 is out. The only way to stretch beyond two years would be to not upgrade the OS, which is a big compromise in itself.

Bottom line is I didn't upgrade to an iPhone 6 because of the RAM issue (and the reported experience of users on the huge thread about it) and I wouldn't upgrade to the 6s if Apple keeps it at 1GB in the fall. I'm pretty sure they will bump it to at least 2GB though but we'll see.

In the meantime Samsung and HTC are gonna need to step up their game now that a big screen isn't a differentiator anymore. Perhaps this will motivate those companies to stop being stingy themselves when it comes to storage and good design.

21. cyb3rdud3 Suspended

Exactly, except for a few serial complainers on here nobody in the real world cares one bit how much ram the iPhone has...

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Nobody would care. Millions would buy the 6S and 6+S, whatever RAM it has. I think millions would buy it even if Apple went back to 512MB or 256MB RAM. Such is Apple's market power.

However, I would just stick with my iPhone 5 for another year if that happens.

23. cababah macrumors 68000

Regardless of what Apple does, the 6S will break record sales figures because....well, it's "the new iPhone 6S!"

24. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

This. Non-issue.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

*for you.
    If you don't use your phone heavily as a computer-replacement device (in the main) then 1GB of RAM will be sufficient for everyday mobile phone tasks. Some of us run into RAM limitations not just daily, but several times per day, and it is very dismissive of you to label it a non-issue. It's like we're moaning for the sake of it!