What if the US Was formed Today?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

How do you think it would be different if the US was formed, and the constution was written today? How would be bill of rights be different? Would we have free speech? Right to bear arms? Would the election process be different because of terrorism? Share your thoughts! (But please don't turn this into a Government-Bashing thread, keep it constructive)

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think we'd have a very different form of government of/by/for the people due to the advances in communications these days.

I can see the legislative branch eliminating the house in lieu of direct representation. Everyone can vote on the legislation type setups.

The Senate might not exist at all due to less and less of a differentiation between the states or we might have some other method for ensuring big states don't trample the small ones.

The Presidential election would also be much less convoluted.

The right to bear arms would remain, but there would be some better restrictions on the types of weapons allowed (no fully automatic, limitations on the amount a clip can hold, etc).

Things would be similar, I would guess, but advances in modern technology that were completely unforeseen 200+ years ago would be taken into account. Of course 200 years from now, people would look back and complain about how primitive our stuff was.

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

Do you mean if the US recently got independence (say 5 years ago) or was recently discovered and rapidly colonised but formed a new country?

4. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I mean the current country formed.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It would depend on which party ran things, Republicans seem very willing to give all control authority and rights to the corporations both foreign and domestic. bush & the Republicans proved this one over and over and over. There would be no liberty , freedoms and justice for the individual.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think anyone could say what this country would be like. There are simply too many variables. Namely, England, France, Spain and Portugal.

To attempt such an exercise is mostly pointless.

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

I agree, there would certainly be less of a European connection in terms of ethnicity and culture. Probably more control from China, Russia as these countries are far more dominant, so a totally different culture.

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Assuming it was still a group of people rebelling from another European country, it would probably be a pretty socially permissive society with few laws. The new constitution would be very similar to the start of the original Constitution, except things like slavery would likely be dealt with.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If we were still under British rule until recently wouldn't that just make us South Canada?

10. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

This is kind of a paradox.

If the U.S. wasn't formed when it was,it wouldn't be formed today.

That being said,if there was no U.S. than maybe my country could win a few medals at the Olympics.I think we got like 2 less than Ethiopia in Beijing.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd have been given your independence in the 60s anyway, if not before. You'd have a Prime Minister, of course, and Lilibet would be your titular head of state. You might even have proper liquid measures.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should have been formed in the 60s so you can have free access to the drugs you all want. :p

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, British speaking Upper Canada, now Ontario, mostly got its start from British Loyalists who were forcibly expelled from the 13 colonies in 1783.

In other words, the American Revolution needed to take place before Canada truly came into existence.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Here's how I think things would have played out if we had remained part of the Crown:

1) We would be a parliamentary democracy with Elizabeth II as our head of state.

2) We would only stretch to the Mississippi River with Mexico or one its descendants lying to the West.

3) Our immigration patterns would mirror the rest of the British Empire during the 1900s more, with more movement between India/Burma, South Africa/Rhodesia, Australia/New Zealand and the Middle East.

4) Napoleon would have likely never come to power, as the French Revolution might not have arrived for decades, which means that the map of Europe would look quite different at the time of WWI.

And the rest is too complicated to continue. :p

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There would not be a 2 party system. It would be more of a free for all type of government.

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The politicians of today are incapable of building a new country. There motto is "What's in it for me" as opposed to our founding fathers "By the People, For the People" mentality.

Have you ever read the constitution? Pretty genius stuff.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

the biggest stain on our history, which of course is slavery, would have not happened if the country were just formed. apparently when the constitution said "all men were created equal" they really meant all white anglo-saxon protestant men. but luckily we've gotten things straightened out over the years

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

+1

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well I don't know about that. Although crushing debt was one reason for the French Revolution, it certainly wasn't the only. Unless you dealt with the bad harvest and rough winter (no food, many people became ill and died), ineffective leadership, the major inequalities between the classes and bourgeois access to the Enlightenment, I think there still would have been a revolution.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Debt isn't the only fuel which drove the French Revolution.

The success of the American Revolution prompted many Frenchmen to believe that they too had the ability to live without a monarch.

The Revolution would have likely still occurred, but probably not so soon. If it had been forestalled for even a decade, Napoleon's life would have probably taken a different path, and the series of events which led to his coronation would have been decidedly different.

Mind you this is all idle speculation. None of us can actually test any of this. :p

21. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Going from what Americans have been doing lately...

They would have voted in a Daddy society in which we want everything given to us for free. In which we love him when we gives presents and hate him when he tells us we can not stay out past 10.

Never seen anything like this before in American history... 95% of American to get "tax relief" even if they don't pay taxes. I imagine that many will continue to vote democratic considering they are being bribed. Not an Obama hater...I honestly believe all people who walk into the office realize they are now a statesman. I just think Americans need to realize what has made America the greatest of all civilizations in the history of the world is not that we are a society based off Daddy please.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

IM sure we wouldnt need this daddy system if congress and presidents didnt sell off our manufacturer base in this country. Eager to help anyone and everyone who doesnt make stuff in the U.S. seems to be Congress and the presidents motto the past 20 years.

You cant be a great country if you dont make anything but paper and lawyers.

23. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I completely agree. While I am all for free trade...it needs to be even across both lines unless dealing with a new markets or significantly smaller national governments.