What if there was no new iPhone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Jul 8, 2012.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

What if Apple decided they could skip a year? Would their sales be affected negatively? If so, how much money do you think they'd lose? If you'll be upgrading your device from a 3GS or a 4 in October, would you buy a new iPhone?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple can do whatever they want. They've proven that over and over.

It's also a fact that they have a lot of control, it will all work out whenever Apple feels like it. In the meantime anyone that absolutely has to have an iPhone, they're still for sale.

It's as easy as that. No big deal.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they probably could skip a year, but they might see some sales decline even if the overall trend keeps it as a growth. but its unlikely that they'd skip a year. it just doesn't make the most sense for them.

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Judging from the leaked images we've seen, I wouldn't shed a tear.

5. techiegeek1225 macrumors member

skipping a year won't be a biggie for them considering the fact that they have already gained much profit from their previous products. i know apple lovers will be disappointed BUT we are very much willing to wait. :)

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Big picture, I don't think it would matter.

The i4S would still be a huge seller.

The one thing that Apple has shown is don't need a massive year to year refresh to move product.

We've been looking at the same iPhone design since 2010. Has it mattered? Nope.

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Well I'm eligible for an upgrade now. And my iPhone 4 is definitely lagging now a days. So if they skipped a year, I would honestly probably buy a Galaxy S III because I couldn't wait an entire year for a new phone.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Wait a minute, and I'll get my Crystal Ball out. Only question that can be remotely answered is the "Would you buy a new iPhone"

Please, please people, think before you ask silly questions we cannot answer. :mad: ;)

10. buddgeez macrumors member

They'd probably see a small decline in sales, but nothing major 

11. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Biggest upset of the year for Apple. Not gonna happen.

Edit: Or...shall I rephrase...biggest upset for ME this year...by Apple.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

They are to the point where they pretty much have to release a new device every year. They have conditioned the public to the point where sales start to drop off 9 months or so into the product cycle as users anticipate the new model.

Not releasing a new model would mess with their sales numbers in a pretty significant way.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

Not due for a upgrade anyway. The 4s would just carry on.

14. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No way they will skip a year. It doesn't matter how much money they currently have or how good of shape the company is in. They are in business for one reason, and one reason only. To make more and more $$. Launching a new iPhone every year is a HUGE part of apples revenue. Why would they skip a year? Consumers are gonna buy one this year, and next, and the year after that, etc. Cell contracts don't matter either. iPhone sales have increased every year regardless of where consumers are in their contracts. Skipping a year would be turning down millions and millions of profit dollars. Not gonna happen.

16. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Those are fake....think god

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The scarier thing is that whatever Apple introduces for their next gen iPhone will be more of less the iPhone for the next two years.

Not saying that's a bad thing or that iPhones should/need to be redesigned each year. Just pointing out the commitment.

18. hagr182 macrumors regular

Well since my blackberry literally burned a few months ago and I am stuck with a crappy phone calls only device Id just buy a Galaxy S3.

However I am hopeful they will announce one eventually, and I will so buy it on November (Have other expenses to see to)

If I buy the iphone unlocked from apple would it work on say Mexico? I live there, but here the iphone costs around 1100 USD which is crazy

19. Twixt macrumors 6502

Stock would go down 50%

20. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I think that's also helped the market out in terms of accessories, as there are many more for the iPhone out than any other phone. People love to customize their phones with cases and such.

However, they have to get on the 4G LTE bandwagon, especially on Verizon.

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

There is no reason not to. They could release a yet again modified version of the iPhone 4 and still sell a ton of phones at a huge profit.

What would happen if they didn't? Well a lot of nerds would go Android, at least for a while. A lot of stock owners would be unhappy. A lot of apple loyalist would claim that the 4s is just that good that it was intended to be a two year phone.

And most importantly, MacRumors would simply crash under the stress of thousands of new threads.

22. Cripps macrumors regular

23. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Completely agreed, no thanks to a longer iPhone 4.

24. andymodem macrumors 6502a

If they did skip this year, I would pull the trigger on a Galaxy Nexus.

25. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

Fine with me. My 4S will be newer for another year.