What if they dont do away with the uMBP line, instead they just add Retina to it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

How many other PC laptops can you put two hard drives into?

Is this rare?

Its like a huge deal to me.

11/13 air
    13/15 retina slim
    13/15 retina pro

??? maybe? otherwise Im staying behind with the latest possible unibody until they make 2 TB SSDs for $400.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Big reason for the transition is the availability of extremely fast external media via Thunderbolt and USB3. They're basically just as fast as internal volumes these days.

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

not gonna happen. odd enough they kept it this long

4. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah because thats exactly the same thing.

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Oh man I wish they would!! I don't care about slimmer, lighter, built in hdmi and 2 thunderbolt ports....

If they took the current unibody / non-retina, and made it an option to add retina display that'd be perfecttt.

Reason is, once I get the 13" I plan on updating the ram and adding a 2.5" SSD the moment I get it, to your point: having 2 hard drives (HDD + SSD). At that point the retina display would be a very welcomed perk. I'm not a pro user and I just can't justify the pricepoint of the entry level 13" retina.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Not going to happen. They want to eradicate optical drives and legacy ports. The only active lines with optical drives are the cMBP and the Mac Pro. Everything else has been transitioned to thinner, optical drive-less designs.

7. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I could see Apple keeping the same enclosure, just not CNC the slot for the optical drive. In its place, Apple could offer a Fusion drive. In fact, Apple could opt to improve this model even further by outfitting it with a non-retina IPS display and applying the same screen bonding technique as the new retina MacBook Pros & iMacs, eliminating the need for the cover glass.

Maybe Apple will phase it out the next go around but unless Apple is going to drop the price of the retina to $1,799, I don't see it happening.

What I definitely don't see happening is Apple dumping the non-retina MacBook Pros and having only Pro models that start at $1,699 for the 13-inch Pro, and $2,199 for the 15-inch Pro. No way in hell...

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

If apple was planning to offer THAT they would have offered it already.

Retina will get a price drop, Haswell is able to run the display without discrete graphics, and the 13" will get a 2.5 5mm hybrid drive, enough to drop 400$ on both.

9. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I have a 13" 2012 Air right now, but I am seriously considering flipping it for a 13" 2012 Pro as I'm worried this is the last third party upgradeable MacBook we'll see...

If they release the MBP Retina with options like the iMac for platter, Fusion or pure SSD, it might be ok, but the Flash SSD is always going to be pricey. I know the 13" has space under the trackpad for a thin 2.5" drive.

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

Why does it bother you, if you have air?
    Really - I don't want platter drives near me again, ever. I've restructured my drive-usage just so I can tuck away everything I don't need and be 100% flash.

11. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

It's not traditionally the machine I would use... I was given it through work and then bought it out from them (at a stupid good price) when I left...

12. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would be heaven!

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

What can you really upgrade? The HD and the RAM? That can only go so far. You can't really upgrade processors or chipsets or graphics. So I am not sure that its really "future proof" in any way your Air already isn't.

My advice, get a good machine that last you a year or two, sell it, and then pay the difference to upgrade. Fresh machine, fresh design (possibly), new warranty, etc.

14. G-Mo, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

You can upgrade the RAM and HDD (as you mentioned), you can pull the ODD and drop in a drive doubler and then have dual drives or an SSD and HDD Fusion Drive. You can also after market upgrade the LCD to a higher resolution, if you are so inclined. Also, even at AASP prices, the MBP series is significantly cheaper to repair (on a part-by-part basis) when it's warranty expires.

MacBook Airs traditionally have terrible resale value. Since they are almost completely non-upgradeable and expensive to repair OOW, they simply don't hold the value of a traditional MBP once they hit a year and/or the new versions are released. I only have this Air because I got it for about 50% of cost (not retail, AAR cost). I can actually sell it, MAKE MONEY!, get a refurb 2012 MBP 13-inch, drop in a 128GB SSD and a nice 500 or 750GB 7200RPM and do the Fusion thing, or put in a 512GB SSD, whatever I want...

15. KPOM macrumors G5

The price of the rMBP will drop to something closer to the current cMBP range. Perhaps $1299 or $1499 this year (depending on whether they drop the cMBP). Also, the MacBook Air might get better CPUs if Intel delivers on its promises with Haswell.

Sure, people like me who bought the 256GB 13" rMBP will be upset, but that's technology. Prices go down over time.

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Well, that's what Apple would have you believe that they did, which is why they call it "Macbook Pro with Retina Display." It would be nice if they actually did it, but I doubt they will.

My money is on Samsung eventually releasing a Windows laptop with a HiDPI display that also has upgraded components, before Apple comes out with a Retina MBP that has upgradeable storage and RAM.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

Apple will never again have upgradeable RAM.

18. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

how do you know?

its part of the selling points of Macs and what helps justify the prices compared to other machines.

19. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

They meant that they don't believe that Apple will ever have upgradeable RAM again. At least the optimist in me thinks that, because they aren't in anymore of a position to know one way or another what Apple will do 5 or 10 years from now than anyone else here.

Whether or not it's a selling point is debatable. For some, it is, but for others, having the RAM soldered on is the selling feature. For example, RAM slots use more internal space than if the RAM is soldered onto the logic board. By extension, that makes the system itself that much bigger, or takes away from the area that could be used for other things, such as a larger battery. So, it being a selling point depends on your point of view.

With that said, I prefer to have the choice to upgrade (like I've said several times around these forums already.) When it comes time to upgrade my system again, I will see what's available at that time, and make my choice accordingly keeping my requirements in mind. If Apple has a product that satisfies those requirements at that time, then they will be a valid option for me. If they don't, then I will simply look elsewhere.

20. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Well you guys are forgetting that there are different categories.

If Apple was as cut-throat as you think, they would have done away with the Mac Pro.

They keep tabs on these things and understand the pros and cons of their choices.

You guys might like to think they blindly do away with anything not mainstream-centric like the iPads and the Airs but at the same time they know whats up and to not go too far.

(But with axing the 17 they went too far, I still dont know how to feel. I still have hope that its still an open case with some future surprise/revision)

But besides the 17, they havent done anything too crazy. Yet.

So as for that, I think they know that people bank of this workhorse and bank on being able to do 2 drives.

You guys are acting like the slim products are the ONLY products.

No, they are special products with special spot lights to drive the mainstream consumer, but deep down they know they still need us in the background.

The Mac Pro, The uMBP those are serious needs for pro-sumers. And its the pro-sumer market that sells the mainstream market by giving it that passive credibility so when people think about what the status quo is, they find out what the pro-sumers are using. We still have to be that for them. WE are helping sell to the masses, even tho not buying en-masse ourselves.

And the iPad and rMBP and the Air are more auxilary items that get the most push.

But really, I just need that extra space. At least until this HDD - SSD transitional decade peaks.

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

Having the fastest RAM utilisation in the industry is also a selling point.
    I replaced RAM in my previous uMBP. I bought maxed out retina. I'll see whether my update cycle (4 years) stays the same.

also, what he said:

22. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

As much as I hate to agree with you, you're right. This is the trend. Apple figures people don't upgrade their machine much (or if at all). Or alternately, they want you to replace it more frequently (à la iPhone). In order to do this, however, Apple needs to bring the costs down. Ideally, a 15-inch MacBook Pro should be $1,599. Right now with the MacBook Pro Apple is behind the 8 ball. A lot of people find the $1,799 price point TOO expensive. If Apple's to truly eliminate the models with a DVD drive, they need to bring the current $2,199 model to the price point of the current model that has the DVD drive at $1,799.

23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Thing is that the two-hard-drives "feature" isn't something that Apple advertises or supports. Given that, I don't see them keeping the old form factor MBP for that reason.

The only other features of the non-retina MBP are:

1) Larger, slower storage space (flash is getting cheaper all the time)
    2) Optical drive (about which Apple has made their stance clear)
    3) Upgradeable RAM (also about which Apple has made their stance clear)
    4) More ports (Apple has released adapters to handle these)
    5) Smaller batteries

I don't see Apple adding retina screens to these computers. Either they keep them on as they are or get rid of them in favor of the retina models.

24. nitromac macrumors 6502

Not everyone can afford getting a new laptop every year.

25. kensic macrumors 6502

i wounldnt consider 70-80 mb/s trasnfer rate with usb 3 external hard drive on usb 3 port.

its better then usb 2...but still not no where near calling it fast