What if.. They Silent update the MBP 2018 or make September event about "Hardware"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrGunnyPT, Jun 4, 2018.

?

When do you think they will reveal the MBP 2018?

1. Spec bump /w butterfly v3 in upcoming days

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. September Event

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. October event if it does happen

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Apple won't release new hardware until Cannon Lake due to LPDDR4

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Like the title says... What do you think?

Plus are you waiting or skipping to Windows?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I think it will be silently updated in the next month or so myself.

I'm not doing anything my 2013 is still all the laptop I need.

3. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I posted this in another thread, the downside for me on a silent update, is that they'll not be publicly addressing the keyboard and for me that's the biggest wildcard.

Also, I think they'd miss an opportunity to promote and market the 6 core Mac, I think many people would be frothing at the mouth and a public announcement would get the word out. I'm not marketing person, and the folks at Apple are smarter them me, so who knows

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

GHAH, no! Yuck lol! You kidding? :D

I'm a life-long (well, since 1997...) windows user, and since win8 it just keeps getting worse and worse, honestly.

Warning, long rant lol:

The Win8 start screen was a joke, then with win10 they made the start menu nearly useless in retaliation because they were shamed by the internet into bringing it back. Also, you have nearly no control over your own computer with regards to patching and associated restarts, microsoft enforces that on you however the hell they like. If they want you to "upgrade" to a new major patch, they'll do that no matter what you feel about it; if you overpay for Win10 Pro you can delay the update for a while, but it'll still come eventually regardless of if you want it to or not.

Then there's the integration of ads, which they keep sneaking in more and more of (in an OS I friggin paid like $250 for only half a year ago + change!), plus the "diagnostics" data they siphon out of me which I CAN'T disable completely. Again they were shamed into giving their customers greater insight into what exactly it is they're collecting, so once more in retaliation they refuse to explain or label, sort, index etc any of the information, they just present it all in one big obscure, indecipherable dump to discourage anyone from even bothering to look at it.

Plus Win10 is ugly as sin, and where Safari is pretty nice and slick for an integrated browser, with MacOS's good touch and fullscreen support, Edge on the other hand is just the ugliest, worst browser I've ever had the misfortune of using. It's criminally bad, seriously, and when you try to make a more decent one default (ie goggle chrome), MS begs you not to dump it, which is simply pathetic. And in the latest patch they made the OS invoke Edge on you anyway in some situations no matter what your default browser is. Double pathetic!

Microsoft... Don't you just love them?

I'd consign windows and all of my PCs to the scrap heap tomorrow only if Apple offered decent desktop computers that are good specced at decent prices, but the iMac is not an option with poor price/performance ratio, also weak graphics performance in all offerings other than the iMac Pro, plus near if not total zero internal expandability, and they are GLUED SHUT which is a joke, and a bad one at that.

Also, Mac Pros - even back when they offered internal card slots and user-serviceable/replaceable hardware - have always been stupidly expensive due to their forced reliance on xeon processors, ECC DIMMs and Apple Tax on RAM and storage included as default in the system, and offer no hardware enthusiast support for tweaking, overclocking, high-speed RAM DIMM support and so on. They're nice computers, well built and (apart from the trashcan) well-thought-out, but SO BORING for hardware geeks like me. I might as well buy a Dell for all the tweaking options I'm being offered... :p

And Macbook Pros are horribly overpriced these days. When I bought mine in 2011 it wasn't exactly cheap, but at least not total madness; I paid about $1400 (equivalent) for a near top-range 13" with a Core i7 CPU; today I would have to shell out nearly $3000 for such a laptop and that's nuts, and for that price it no longer includes most I/O ports, optical drive or SD cardslot either, and has no socketed CPU, SO-DIMM slots or expandable/replaceable flashdrive either. It's all soldered in at the factory for absolutely crazy repair prices and forced upsell before purchase.

Then add the issues with those scissor keyboards and Apple's reluctance to take responsibility for it makes me not want to pay that much for a computer that certainly won't last as long as this one has, hardware-wise. Who can afford to pay over $1k even just once to fix a faulty keyboard once the warranty runs out for a used laptop? I've read accounts of people suffering multiple failed keyboards, most of us would be forced to throw the whole macbook away or maybe dump it on an auction site for cheap if we need the internal keyboard working... And all that is only because they made the computer so thin there's no tolerances to allow for crumbs and human detritus (plus the whole computer is also full of glue).

TL: DR - because Apple's hardware is so expensive and also unsuited for gamers/enthusiasts like myself I'm "forced" to keep using PCs/windows, but it doesn't bring me much joy. MacOS is a bit unpolished and wonky in some aspects, but overall nicer to use and certainly more privacy-focused - and also prettier - so I'd prefer that if it was at all possible.

I really don't like the direction MS is going, it feels as if they desire to turn me into their product and mine me for information. Generally I do like Apple's direction, other than their overly aggressive profit-seeking and reliance on glue when building their gadgets, and making everything so thin that functionality suffers (keyboards breaking down, iphones get difficult to hold without a case, etc.)

6. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

As a user of both OS considerably longer than you: Windows has never been better and the Mac has never been less productive, spot of reading will cure your Microsoft woes.

I'm a consultant engineer, I chose to work in the field, my W10 systems never update / auto reboot unless I explicitly instruct them too, last trip was six weeks up country in Malaysia. Never see ads etc. maybe a special deal with Microsoft, maybe not....

Currently enjoying 4.1GHz of Hex Core goodness, 32Gb of fast RAM, GTX 1070, 17.3" 144Hz IPS and 3K SSD, all of which comes in at less than 3KG, no random reboots expected. Meanwhile at Apple we've got more emojis & watchstraps, a joke of a computing lineup, that's verging on insulting the few professional's left on the platform.

Q-6

7. salivan macrumors member

salivan

As a professional developer, I disagree.
    Windows is not even on radar in my industry (I cannot judge for other industries or businesses, I can extrapolate from my experience, and yes I hang out with devs all over Europe), linux/macOS is all there is. I'd say pretty much 50(Mac)/40(linux)/10(win).

I work on MacOS, with headless centos7 virtualbox inside, with docker containers inside :) inception style.
    Remote servers I work on are centos7/ubuntu-server. I live in command line, I find MacOS to be an excellent host OS for all my tentacles in other linux servers.
    I use tmux/vim as dev environment.

I don't like windows for many reasons, but mostly because it's architecture is and always has been crap. Only thinking about registry and the way it is engineered makes me wanna vomit.

8. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

I'm in heavy engineering and the Mac is now pretty much useless to me, no longer offering the hardware, performance and or software base. I've never seen more drop the platform as a result, very obvious where Apple's attention lies...

If I cant manage in W10, Linux has the solution. My workflow can bring macOS to a standstill in a matter of days, resulting in applications locking up (Apple's own) forcing a restart and accompanying loss of data. Biggest issue with Windows is the users don't understand it, if your system is auto rebooting that's on you and how you've set it up...

Q-6

9. salivan macrumors member

salivan

I have Macs run multiple virtual machines (each with gigs of ram and full linux OSs) for 2-3 month without a restart. I run cpu intensive algorithms mostly.

What is your particular workflow that doesn't work? What software crashes?

Also on the side note, professionals should stick to whatever tool works for them. Its not that you've to Use Mac or Win. They each have their merits. As a developer windows has nothing to offer me, maybe it is different for engineers, I don't know.

I don't have gripe with windows update/restart, I've gripe with Windows crappy engineering. Shinning example of this is Registry. I can talk all day why it is a bad idea, and why it is terribly implemented.

The only Microsoft product I thoroughly enjoyed was ms-dos.

10. maflynn, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not going to say its a good idea, but I support windows workstations and servers, and the windows registry is a non-issue and has been for many years. I know people love to throw this out as one reason why windows is aweful, the other is dll hell in both cases MS has worked for many years to improve both situations.

Edit:
    One more thing, windows 10, you can now install a linux subsystem and have a full blown linux version running. I installed X windows and was successful in actually getting a version if Ubuntu with Unity up and running. Not all the APIs are there, so it was not full functioning, but afaik, the shell that is implemented is fully functioning

11. salivan, Jun 6, 2018

salivan macrumors member

salivan

Well, you can put countless hours into trying to fix a bad architecture and to some point succeed, but that doesn't mean next iterations those old problems won't surface. Best way to fix bad architecture, is to move to something better. Problems are not solved by eliminating symptoms, they are solved by fixing the original problem, e.g. bad architecture. You can build a house on a bad foundation, then put metal tubes to make it stay upright, yes it will stay upright, but that doesn't mean you should live in that house, or that you should put another floor ontop of it.

As a software developer myself, I'm really wary of solutions that try to mesh apples with oranges, oh lets put linux subsystem on a windows OS, completely different OS, with a completely different paradigms.

It is a terrible idea.

Also because, why would you do that? There is virtualization, and heck, if you want linux just install linux, why have subpar, half assed implementation of it? Oh, if your running a mere apache/php/mysql and have no need for anything else it might work, I must concede.

Now smart thing MS can do, is simply move onto Linux kernel and forget about their almost 3 decade long failed experiment. But there is a fallacy of sunk cost at work. I guess also having diff base makes for a good selling point.

How did powershell workout for windows sys admins? :) please don't argue with me, powershell is half assed terrible imitation of bash. Arguably realizing that, they tried to implement ubuntu subsystem. But result will be the same. Until they realize that problem is windows and its architecture.

Why is powershell terrible? because of paradigms. MS is trying to make windows point and click interface into a command based system, and linux is the other way around, cli based system has gui built ontop. Guess which method is simplest to implement, use and extend?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is its been a non-issue for so many years that I disagree with your conclusion. Its your money, and your time and you need to find a solution but I disgree with the sentiment. I'm not against Apple, but rather pointing out that MS's solution is solid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like it

I use it often, and have scripts, many of the installs I interact with use the powershell. I'm not a fan, but I have used it.

13. salivan, Jun 6, 2018

salivan macrumors member

salivan

I'm not against MS, per se, I'm pointing out software flaws.

I'm not advocating for Apple either. Their software ways have been crap for a while now, its just that good foundation allows them to mess around for a while. But at some point it will also give in, I've been peeping inside console logs for a while, and I don't like what I see.

p.s. Also I'm waiting for linux subsystem in Windows to be used to gain access to user machines somewhere near end of 2018.
    Its going to be fun, security researchers and hackers will have a field trip.