What if... Trump just kept his mouth shut?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bopajuice, Aug 17, 2017.

1. bopajuice, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I was wondering... What if Trump stopped using Twitter, and gave fewer news conferences? What if he did not give the media, us here on the forums, or his fellow politicians anything to talk about? No fuel for the fire.

I wonder if he is physically capable of staying out of the news and just doing the will of the people?

Think about it, just about everyday he says something controversial, changes his statement, and as of late, goes back to his original statement and elaborates, thus digging himself into a deeper media driven hole of his own doing.

What if he just assured the American people during a crisis, responded to world events in a generic presidential tone, and went back to work? I wonder if he would get more done? For the sake of variety, I say let him continue to praise himself, his businesses, and his accomplishments, but nothing else.

At this rate I cannot see him lasting four years. Not so much because of his capabilities, but because of the constant media coverage frenzy generated by his constant controversial comments. Takes away from dealing with the issues facing this country. Must be very stressful for him.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And what if pigs could fly? I'd say at this point things are in favor of the pigs! :D

4. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

George Will described Trump as follows, borrowing something that Churchill had said:

He's a bull that carries his own china shop around with him.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

He could never do that. He's a narcissist.

That aside, I think as much as what he says and does is off the reservation, I would prefer to know what he is thinking or wants to do vs silence.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They'd have to sew up the other end he talks out of first.

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Well for one, the ratings and revenue streams would dry up big time for the liberal press corps. Less people would be interested in politics; the late night shows would have less material to work with, SNL would loose like half it's audience over night. The sky would turn blue and PRSI would turn into a third tier C-Span event with like 2 people viewing, and I, a long with a lot of others here would probably post on actual Apple products again.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think it would have people believe he is actually doing something relevant to his job title. If you tweet all day at work you are either no doing your job or are employed as the 'social media guy'. I'm pretty sure Trump wasn't elected as the social media communications officer.

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Here we go again with "liberal," "left," "right' etc. Conservative media are pretty much consumed with Trump also.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Fox would totally be ok though - right? ;)

11. darksithpro macrumors 6502

True. Fox has a lot of appearances with Trump and his executive staff. Their ratings always go south when a Republican, or a RINO like Trump is in office.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

But that's the thing -- Trump is his brash persona. People like his incendiary, shallow trash-talk. It's why they voted for him.

Take that away, and you're left with, well, nothing. Trump has no ideals. He has no personal philosophy. His opinion is formed by whatever the last person who spoke to him said. If he tried to actually lead, he'd simply be controlled by whoever he tasked to instruct him how to lead. He cannot do that sort of job himself.

Trump is, ultimately, correct to throw away whatever his aides put in front of him on a teleprompter and just say whatever is on his mind. The man is an empty husk, whose only solace is that people like an empty husk when it is decorated with their favorite slogans and buzzwords.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

14. samcraig macrumors P6

What's going to stop yours?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Locking her up of course :D

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Her? Everyone.

17. darksithpro macrumors 6502

That's an interesting perspective. Never thought of it that way.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I was saying that before he became president... #Trumphipster

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He would get criticized for not being involved enough.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yeah, Twitter stock would probably fall pretty quickly.

21. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Oddly enough, him being a TV president has actually been very profitable for the press and social media.

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

This is true! It's kind of amazing, the more he yells at various media outlets as propagating Fake News, the more their sales increase. Every time he states that a publication is "failing", it rakes in greater profits. Every time he states that a television broadcast is losing viewership, its audience goes up.

I can't even tell any more whether Trump is doing this on purpose or not; he's so media-savvy, he's gotta understand the effect his words are having...

23. darksithpro macrumors 6502

The guy has been paying off politicians and in the media for most of his adult life. It might be his first rodeo on the horse, but he's been around them most of his life.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

If The Donald shut his mouth his eyeballs would fly out of his head.